PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + Tank Wipe Downs = Glorious

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I've been using a magic eraser for the past couple weeks for my tank wipe downs and for my driftwood and it works great, much better than paper towels or cloth. Give it a try very efficient.

Discus-n00b
02-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Inside the tank? Is it just a sponge?

pauline
02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
I just did an Internet search including checking a report on Snopes. The Magic Eraser is made of melamine, contains no chemicals and is non -toxic.

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Inside the tank? Is it just a sponge?

Inside the tank, hard to explain but it is a sponge that has some fine abrasiveness to it but it does not scratch. My wife is always using them around the house and loves them so I tried it and it works great. It works on algae too much easier than using a scraper or one of those magnet things.

Discus-n00b
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Been looking for a better option for my glass. Paid way to much for a starphire tank to scratch it up.

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
How about a pot scrubbie like you might use in your sump.

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Been looking for a better option for my glass. Paid way to much for a starphire tank to scratch it up.

Give it a try, it definitely won't scratch.

How about a pot scrubbie like you might use in your sump.

I've used those, magic eraser works way better

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Does it? have a link?

nc0gnet0
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Don't use on acryllic and I would be a bit cautious myself......great tools yes, but I would be wary of long term use giving you hazy glass. These are like using an ultrafine sandpaper.

Rick

Orange Crush
02-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Melamine is the toxic substance that was found in pet foods a few years ago that was killing all those cats and dogs. I worked at a vets office at the time and saw first hand the damage it was doing to their kidneys. I wouldn't trust that those are safe in the long run with fish but who knows?

oldfar
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I use them to clean used tanks with vinegar works great gets that crust off.

Poco
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Melamine is toxic indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

Quote from Wikipedia

"Melamine is described as being "Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Chronic exposure may cause cancer or reproductive damage. Eye, skin and respiratory irritant." However, the short-term lethal dose is on a par with common table salt with an LD50 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose) of more than 3 grams per kilogram of bodyweight.[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine#cite_note-15) U.S. Food and Drug Administration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_Drug_Administration_(United_States)) (FDA) scientists explained that when melamine and cyanuric acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanuric_acid) are absorbed into the bloodstream, they concentrate and interact in the urine-filled renal microtubules, then crystallize and form large numbers of round, yellow crystals, which in turn block and damage the renal cells that line the tubes, causing the kidneys to malfunction.[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine#cite_note-16)"

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Uhg, I don't want to give a chemistry lesson here, you are adults but geez you are reminding me of my students LOL! the fish are not eating it, it does not dissolve in the water, it is used for cleaning OUR dishes, safe for contact with what WE eat. I would say that is safe for scrubbing a fish tank. As far as scratching, it does not scratch glass or acrylic. Next time you are in the grocery store take one out and check it out you will see what I am talking about.

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I think I will stick with the pot scrubbie.

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Have you guys heard of the toxic chemical dihydrogen monoxide? Don't want your fish near that stuff either. Terrible stuff, more to read about it:

http://www.dhmo.org/

Elliots
02-23-2013, 08:16 PM
If you drink too much dihydrogen monoxide it will kill you. I do not know how much it takes but it does happen. It also kills my fish because when they die it is not my fault!

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes dangerous stuff, dihydrogen monoxide kills about 400,000 people every year

pauline
02-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Unbreakable dishes for homes and the restaurant industry are made of melamine.

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Unbreakable dishes for homes and the restaurant industry are made of melamine.

How could that be its deadly!!! (I kid I kid)

Orange Crush
02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't trust that those are safe in the long run with fish but who knows?
Like I said who knows? I prefer to stick to using things that are meant to go into the aquarium, that's all, and I thought people should know about melamine so they can decide for themselves whether they want to use it or not in the fish tank.

Uhg, I don't want to give a chemistry lesson here, you are adults but geez you are reminding me of my students LOL!
Not needed, I have had so many quarters of chem and bio that it gives me PTSD when I think about it. lol

lipadj46
02-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Like I said who knows? I prefer to stick to using things that are meant to go into the aquarium, that's all, and I thought people should know about melamine so they can decide for themselves whether they want to use it or not in the fish tank.

you mentioned that melamine was dangerous to ingest but failed to mention that it is completely non-toxic and food safe otherwise and used in many everyday products like plates, formica, dry erase boards, insulation etc. IME the magic eraser is safe as a tank wipe down tool and works better than any aquarium specific product.

Orange Crush
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
you mentioned that melamine was dangerous to ingest but failed to mention that it is completely non-toxic and food safe otherwise and used in many everyday products like plates, formica, dry erase boards, insulation etc. IME the magic eraser is safe as a tank wipe down tool and works better than any aquarium specific product.
That is why I said "who knows?" I know it is toxic if you eat it but I did not know if it was safe otherwise. Thought I made that clear but I guess you did not understand my post the way I wrote it. Either way, a lot of manmade things are intially thought to be safe for years until proven otherwise (BPA anyone?) so I err on the side of caution. I know that there are others on the forum like this and that they would prefer to know these things beforehand.

Altum Nut
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Not saying it's safe or not but I agree with OC that everyone should judge for themselves.
Here is the MDS in case someone is unsure.
http://www.pgpro.com/Default.aspx?tabid=88&product=84

...Ralph

Second Hand Pat
02-24-2013, 01:01 AM
Personally I appreciate the heads up and have used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean my house and can see what a great cleaner it is. BUT I am not sure I want it in the tank with my precious discus. Call me superstitious and I prefer to error on the side of caution here.

Poco
02-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Personally I appreciate the heads up and have used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean my house and can see what a great cleaner it is. BUT I am not sure I want it in the tank with my precious discus. Call me superstitious and I prefer to error on the side of caution here.

Absolutely agree. I rather be safe than sorry.

lipadj46
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM

LOL don't you use pot scrubbies in your tanks? I'll be the long term tester then. I also use them to clean my Taiwan bee shrimp tank. Those shrimp are sensitive to everything so far so good

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Mongo77
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
You can cut the Magic erasure in half and place one half in between the glass and the magnetic scrapers. Allows you to easily clean the glass while staying dry. Replace the Magic erasure as needed.

pauline
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Good tip. Thanks for that.

LizStreithorst
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
My problem with the Magic Eraser is that it falls apart so fast. It does a way better on the inside of the glass than Scotch Brite Pads, though.

Len
03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
It says on the package (or at least used to) NOT to use it on aquariums.

lipadj46
03-03-2013, 09:11 PM
It says on the package (or at least used to) NOT to use it on aquariums.

It says that on many aquarium safe silicone too. I would not use them in filters but IME they are safe to use as tank wiping sponges.