PDA

View Full Version : Dark discus... sometimes.

FlyTekk
02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey i have 6 new 3" discus.

1 Fire Red
1 Brilliant Red
1 Brilliant turquiose
1 Santarem
1 Alenquer
1 Tefe

All but the Fire Red turn dark sometimes.... and then color back up. They all feed just fine. Havnt noticed anything on their skin or in their poop. The breeder that sold them to me tells me that maybe they color up in the light and darken in the shade for protection which is definately true but sometimes i see the dark in the light as well.

Is this normal at all? This is my first time with discus. Params are ph7 amonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5.

-gb-
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I have a fish that turns dark when the other fish are chasing him around the tank and then brightens back up when he is left alone. I think it was to do with the mood there are in.

FlyTekk
02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
i was hoping that is what it is. They are sorda picking on each other. No one seems to be dominant. They are all getting pecked here and there. I thought maybe the darken color is due to this and maybe when the pecking order is set it will stop?

-gb-
02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
It should become less frequent as they settle in. My fish still turn dark at times and I've had them in my tank for 8+ years. It's only cause for concern if the fish turnes dark for an extended period of time or if it is immediately accompanied by other symptoms.

wavesurfer
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
If your subtrates, deco and background are dark/black, the colour of your discus might have been affected by them too.

camuth8
02-25-2013, 11:15 PM
It's probably because you just got them, too. Discus can get stressed if they're introduced to a new place. Turning dark is just one way of them saying,"I'm stressed out, man!":)

FlyTekk
02-25-2013, 11:17 PM
barebottom, green artificial plants, and clear back glass.

Thanks gb hopefully its nothing and will pass!

camuth8
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't really prefer the artificial plants. They don't really seem to fit in very well. Especially with a bb tank. It's your call, though.:)

Elliots
02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
My brown Discus change color all the time. When they hide in or near my Malaysian driftwood they get very dark and as they swim away they lighten. At first I thought they were sick because of the extreme color change. My yellow-red-orange colored Discus change little or not at all near the driftwood.

FlyTekk
02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Elliots you just described EXACTLY whats happening in my tank! I have a fire red discus which is kinda orange yelllow and he never darkens. The rest of discus do. But when time for food they zip to top of tank and in light and they color up quickly. Its amazing how fast they change from dark to color.

Elliots
02-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Your orange-yellow fish, called a fire red, who did it come from? How long have you had it? I bought from Hans two weeks ago two fish written on the tank was "pigeon" and they were red, I also bought two fire reds that were red. I bought two other fish I cannot remember the strain now but their color varies from yellow-orange to red. When the fish got into my planted tank I had 6 orange fish. Now I have one yellow orange I like the color of, and 5 reddish orange fish. How long does it take for the fish to be red again? I feed mostly Tetra foods with some FDBW. Does the SERA color food for red discus actually work? Any suggestions as to what foods will bring out the red color? I am lazy and I do not want to add anything to their food. One person suggested Live BW.
I have Zoo Med T5 bulbs (I think they are the Max Plant Growth type) that bring out the reds and blues in fish but they do not make orange fish red! My cardinals do look super!

FlyTekk
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I have same issue. I ordered 1 fire red expecting something that looked like the picture in hans website. What i got was a orange fish that is closer to yellow than red. And has now neon blue markings in face which i suppose come with maturity. But one thing that really bothers me is that this fish has alot of black. Towards the tips of the fins and black dots around the face looks like pepper on the fish. I hate the black. None of the fish pictured look this way. So if i would have known this i would have bought different fish or only gone with 5.

Does anyone know how to redden these fish? Or will it come naturally with time?

FlyTekk
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
wanted something like this....

http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/images/firered6.jpg

and instead got this....

http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Fish%20Stores%20Canada/BigAlsRichmond/p21%20Solid%20fire%20red%20discus.jpg

Only mine doesnt have any turquoise or neon markings which are cool. Im hoping it will when mature.

John_Nicholson
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
At 3 inch they are not suppose to have much color. You are going to have to wait until the fish grows up to see its real color. On the fish darkening up. Could be anything but probably just not happy over something. Cool be pecking order or your water might not be quite right.

-john

FlyTekk
02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Even if they seemingly color up.... darken up.... depending on wether they are in the light or not?

As for the reds needing to mature to show full color.... music to my ears! Thanks John..

Anyone know if the pepering will go away? Or how to stop it?

John_Nicholson
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
You can minimize it by keeping the fish in a tank with a light colored bottom. Dark colors will bring it out more, light colors bring it out less.

-john

Elliots
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Fly tech, one of my Discus is yellow orange. Not as yellow as your photo. Most of my fish have black edging on their fins but not as much as your photo. My other five were orange now they are becoming red-orange.
The peppering is normal from pigeon strains. I have read that it increases with dark substrate or dark backgrounds. Why don't you email Hans if you bought the fish directly from him? If you want more info on my set up please IM me.

FlyTekk
02-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I contacted Hans and he told me that the discus is a baby and has much more coloring up to do and i agree and believe what he says. And coincides with what everyone is saying here.

Elliots
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Flytekk, I just looked at Hans' posting of pairs/maybe pairs. Tank #36 video of Fire Reds. That is what the black looks like on my fish. My fish are not that color yet. Mine are orange red and red orange. I have had them three weeks and I expect them to turn red. By the way I visited Hans and selected my fish. I took the ones with the most blue and red markings on the fins and body. I did not select the biggest or the best body shape. I think the fish all come from good stock and are raised in large groups so some do not eat as much as others and the body shapes will improve in smaller groups like I have. By the way, why don't you post where you live? Did you visit Hans or did he ship you or did you get your fish from a LFS who got them from Hans?

FlyTekk
03-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Han shipped direct to me and i am happy with his service. Im from queens NY have to update my profile. Hope the redden up and get blue markings! Fingers crossed.