PDA

View Full Version : UV advice

sammy
02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Can I get advice on UV use. 2-3 weeks ago I tried to use a UV to help a medicated tank dealing with ich or a variation of ich. Most people told me to pull the UV out so the meds were not altered. QUESTION - Is there any risk of transmition to another tank if I put the UV in a healthy tank now to clear out some green water? Thanks in advance.

Kal-El
02-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Personally I will run bleach water for an hour with UV light off. After that, clean the UV really good and let it air dry for 24 hours before using it on the other tank.

ausuriello2nd
03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Sammy, I agree with Kalelhawj about either run a bleach solution through the UV unit and rinsing it well with fresh water and letting it air dry or if all possible taking it apart and wiping it down the inside and protective light sleeve can be done from it spreading anything to your other tank by using a mild bleach solution and then rinsing off with fresh water and then let it air dry.....What brand of UV do you have? And yes pulling the UV unit from the tank's water line while using medications is a must the UV can and will in most cases alter medication useless depending on what type of medication you are using. So yes the information shared to you by other SD members about not using a UV while medication is in the tank is correct.

nc0gnet0
03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Am I missing something here? We are discussing how to sanitize a UV? Give it a good rinse and call it a day. If its working no reason to do anything more than that......

MSD
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Haha, that's what I was thinking, do you add an antibiotic to protect another antibiotic? Rinse with hot water and you should be good to go.

discuspaul
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Agree with the two above posts.

DerekFF
03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
It could contaminate, but highly unlikely. Like other have said a hot wash, scub a dub with some salt if you feel frisky but otherwise it should be good with a thorough rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk