PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent or LED?

vss
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I have been using fluorescent color max lighting all the time and would like to try something different. I've never used LED before. just wondering if the LED give a much better visual effect than using fluorescent bulbs on bare bottom tanks or not? Besides the energy efficiency, is there any other advantage of using LED? Thanks!

Xiaofei :)

yim11
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I am in the process of switching from flours to LED and its been a huge difference. Really like how the LEDS make the fish and tank look. All my tanks are bare bottom.

Fundulopanchax
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
I have many fluorescents over tanks and over orchids - some 30 4-bulb T5HO units. These look great over fish and plants. I have now been converting to LEDs - over plants they look the same as theT5's - I use 6500k fluorescent and LED. look The LED's cost a small fraction of the cost of fluorescents to run, and nowadays arent very much more expensive so I find I am saving money within about 6 months of purchase. I find that LEDs over fish look much better than fluorescent - a large part of this is due to the localized sparkling effect. I have a 150 gallon tank that still has both its original T5's and I added the LEDs. Everyone who looks at it with the T5s vs LEDs chooses LEDs for looks hands down. If you go to tunable LEDs you can even change spectrum readily to match a given fish's coloration - I try to stay away from that as most people when they do this go to a much bluer spectrum which looks very artificial.

Ron

vss
02-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks Jim and Ron! I found both 10000 K and 6500 K on ebay at the same good price. Which one would you guys recommend?

shawnhu
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks Jim and Ron! I found both 10000 K and 6500 K on ebay at the same good price. Which one would you guys recommend?

The higher kelvin you go, the bluer the color. Too blue a color and you end up washing out the colors of your fish. Some people mix and match LED colors to get the desired effect they want.

If you are remotely interested in building your own, look into quality LEDs such as Cree.

Bud Smith
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I am in the process of switching from flours to LED and its been a huge difference. Really like how the LEDS make the fish and tank look. All my tanks are bare bottom.

same here - +1

Etek
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
I switched over to the EVO 3W LEDs that are found on eBay. I got tired of spending $ every several months for T5s. I'm all over the cost savings from a lower electric bill as well. I like the colors that are brought out by the LEDs..especially when the blue fish go under the moonlights. I got to really appreciate the markings of the leopards and giant blues and blue pigeon when using strictly moonlights. The fish don't like it though they freak out for a few moments. One thing I don't mind that some people do is the shimmering affect from the LEDs.

yim11
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Personally I preferred the 10000 over the 6500.

nc0gnet0
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Personally I preferred the 10000 over the 6500.

Amen 6500k and below make the fish look like crap.

gills
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Little different perspective. We use LEDs for outdoor lighting as part of our business. Look for LEDs that have stable chips like Cree. A lot of companies that are putting out cheap stuff have crap chips and the lights reflect that. They burn out faster, off color and so on. Just do a little home work. Cheap is expensive in the long run. I'm sure the new sponsor can answer who has good lights.

Discus-n00b
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I use ALL LEDs. Replaced every single other type of light for my tanks with LEDs. Using pre-made beamworks fixtures. DIYed a LED fixture for my 100gal, and about to DIY another for my SW nano I am setting up. Won't go back ever. LEDs or nothing. Zero heat, no bulb costs, great lighting, and energy efficient.

Skip
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
i made my LED from IKEA LED light set and made a low profile light strip out of wood for them

vss
02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
OK I will go with the 10000K ones. I found under this spectrum there are 400 lumens and 1500 lumens at pretty much the same price. It's a small 20 gallon BB tank that I'm going to use it on. Which one would be more suitable?

seanyuki
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
I am also switching to led lights cos Fluorescent die out less than 12 months and require replacements.....doing research now for 72 ins led lights with some moon light in the fixture with 2 switches so to view the discus at night just having the a few moon lights on......the fishroom has ceiling with blue bulbs 24/7 and not to spook the discus when entering the room at odd hrs.

Bud Smith
02-27-2013, 06:54 AM
I am also switching to led lights cos Fluorescent die out less than 12 months and require replacements.....doing research now for 72 ins led lights with some moon light in the fixture with 2 switches so to view the discus at night just having the a few moon lights on......the fishroom has ceiling with blue bulbs 24/7 and not to spook the discus when entering the room at odd hrs.

I like the 24/7 bulbs not to spook the discus - are they LED?

seanyuki
02-27-2013, 07:57 AM
I am using this now 24/7 in the fishroom.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Plumbing-Electrical/Electrical/Light-Bulbs/Fluorescent/Compact/13-Watt-Blue-Compact-Fluorescent-Mini-Twist-Spiral-Light-Bulb/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I3693702?Ntt=13+watt+blue+compact+fluroescent+mini +twist

I like the 24/7 bulbs not to spook the discus - are they LED?