PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so!!! No More Bag Buddies?

brewmaster15
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Guess I have been out of the loop. I haven't shipped fish in a while and when I did I always used bag buddies. I just found out they are no longer made! I confirmed this with the MFG. Bag buddies were a great way to ship fish adding some oxygen, a mild sedative and water condition. Hard to believe they stopped making them.

So the question I have for you all is what you are currently using when you ship or transport fish?

Thanks,
al

DLock3d
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode "The Sponge". The people I talked to were buying bag buddies up in a frenzy about a year ago lol. Sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestions Al.

brewmaster15
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode "The Sponge". The people I talked to were buying bag buddies up in a frenzy about a year ago lol. Sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestions Al. I'm on my way to the bank now, going to open a safety deposit box there for the 400 ct bottle I have! :)

John_Nicholson
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Yep they are gone...If I remember correctly the state of CA decided that they caused cancer.....All I have used since is clean water and fish that have been properly fasted.

-john

Trier20
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I just picked up some "ship shape" from
Jehmco in preparation for shipping. I have not used it yet so I cannot give you an honest opinion a out it yet.

Inland Empire Discus
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
I use Fucin or Meth blue for shipping and had good results. Fucin works good to keep down bacteria during shipping.

ZX10R
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
I found this out also when I recently sold my fish. All the places I read online and even a sticky you made Al said use clean water and fill the bags with pure oxygen.

ZX10R
02-27-2013, 01:17 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?78035-Shipping-Fish-101-A-primer&highlight=shipping+fish

brewmaster15
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi Sean,
Thanks for the link:) Its always great to use the pure oxygen and clean water. The nice thing about the bag buddies is/was... they could be used by the hobbyist with out pure oxygen. It was actually possible to use aquarium air, clean water and bag buddies , and ship your fish over night...so it was useful. I also liked the mild tranquilizer effect and water condition(ammonia detox) they had.

Sigh...oh well. maybe Its time to start experimenting again.;)

-al

Keith Perkins
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I found this out also when I recently sold my fish. All the places I read online and even a sticky you made Al said use clean water and fill the bags with pure oxygen.

That's pretty cruel sending a man to his own sticky. :)

I remember Hans maybe last summer complaining about Bag Buddies disappearing off the market. I hope at least one of the alternatives here pans out to be a good solution.