PDA

View Full Version : Day 15 and still being stubborn!! UGH

kreekree
02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
So I went away on vacation and did whatever said on here to do....I stopped feeding them two days before I left (Wednesday, Feb 13). On Feb 14 I changed the water as late as I could (7 p.m.). I then went to Mexico for 7 days. Had a great trip! Came home and ran inside...ALL discus, lemon tetras and 3 corys were alive!! I was thrilled! I then thought they have already gone without food for 9 days I'm going to feed them only tetra color bits. I have only had 3 of the 8 eat the tetra bits so I thought this is what I'm going to offer until they all eat it. Only the 3 dove in and ate. I changed the water and everyone seemed happy. It has now been 15 days and I'm remaining strong. The 3 discus, lemon tetras and corys are the only ones eating the tetra bits. I'm on a mission. I remember everyone saying they will eat when they get hungry! My question is....whats the longest anyone has gone with this challenge and finally gotten success? I tried to search and haven't gotten a solid answer so I'm throwing it out there again. They still all seem happy (even the ones not eating). I feel like I'm working with a stubborn 2 year old....Just give in and eat the damn tetra bits!!!

Orange Crush
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Feed them their fav food which for many discus is bloodworms or blackworms instead of tetra bits and then see if they still refuse....

Chad Hughes
02-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I've seen some go as long as two to three months without any ill effects. One day they'll simply resume eating. It's weird.

Keep an eye on them. If you start to see wasting or any abnormal feces, you may have a bigger problem.

Frozen or live worms help getting stubborn discus to eat.

Hope that helps!

iCarp
02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
I just had some stubborn discus start to eat after 2 months of ignoring everything- live redworms, black worms, assorted bits and pellets, so like they say be patient...

Also, depending on what is in your tank, discus can be turning their noses up at prepared foods (especially it seems at Tetra bits) but are grazing on driftwood and algae. I currently have one that does that- all it eats is mopani wood and algae.

PP_GBR
02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
What was the temp B4 you left and what is the temp now? I left my fish unfed for 5 days business trip and had no problem with them. Before I left I did large WC & set the temp @ 82F and dose the tank with Voogle. When I came home I did wc, increased the temp to 86 F and fed them frozen BW only for a week.

Maybe you should try to feed them with FBW to see if they're eating for you.

sandy
03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
What is Voogle?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

PP_GBR
03-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I think it's a liquid Vita.

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/easy-life-voogle.html

kreekree
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh they will eat! I gave a tiny pinch of black worms in my fingers and they went nuts. Today I went back to the pellets and the usual 3 ate like crazy and the rest are holding out. My temp is always at 86.