PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole question

GrayLadyPat
03-04-2013, 12:22 AM
This may be better suited for the disease column, but not sure, so if one feels the need to move it, please do so...

I have found what has been confirmed to be camallanus in my tank. (Thank you Dr. Nancy!!!)

Since it looks like I am going to be treating all of them,some of whom will not eat, I will be going with levamisole HCL.

I have the drug, and I have the correct dosage, BUT....

What kind of side effects should I be looking for? Will they clear up? and how do I know when I should cull, and when I should leave them be? I have heard that discus can lay on the bottom, or be respiratory depressed....

Any advice would be helpful, as my vet says she isn't familiar enough with the treatment of camallanus in discus to be of any great help.

I want to treat soon, but I think I can wait a couple more days before I dose the wet kids. I don't want any more surprises than I can possibly get away with.

Thanks in advance!

bornlooser
03-04-2013, 01:27 AM
I think its 200 mg to 250 mg ...PURE form in 100 liters of water for a 24 hour bath....( you need to do the math, depends on the strength of the product)... i think its also possible to administer via food but do not know the dosage.

You may need to increase aeration....the fish may appear skittish...better administer the medication around the perimeter of the tank over about a 3 minute duration.....the fish may refuse food for about a week.
Experienced folk may chime in.

a volar
03-04-2013, 01:51 AM
The "side effects" that I have notice is appetite loss and they get really skittish, also eyes color change from red to white on some of them (really weird)
But all that goes away in 2 or 3 days, making big water change every day.

yogi
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Here is a link to a good article on levamisol http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

inkbull
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
9mg per gal of the powder form when i needed it i found it at the farm store its bird de-wormer

GrayLadyPat
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks, all...

I have everything I need to treat my tank, and I have the substrate removed, and the plants in medicated tap water (chlorine and all.)

With any luck, I did the math correctly, and I should have some results in a few days. I was mostly concerned with side effects and what I should look for.

Here goes...wish me luck...

star rider
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
good luck

I got my info from here:

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/TreatmentProcedure.html