PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fry die Day 2 HELP!!!

Tramac
03-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Hello Guys

Have not posted in a long time but busy busy and did not really have anything to post.

At the moment though I am in a pickle.

I have two separate breeding pairs in my 4ft Community Tank. 260lt - 7 Discus, 5 Clown Loach, 3 Corys, 2 Whiptail Cats and 2 Peppermint Bristlenose (Everyone is happy)

Had not been too fused as the larger more mature pair have never managed to get past the Egg stage and I put it down to practice makes perfect.

However, I purchased a new female to calm my boys down as I had aggression issues in the tank. Within a week of her going in the tank she had paired up with one of the boys and already laid eggs.
Again I was not worried having seen the problems the other two had.

WELL how wrong I was, out of her first batch of eggs I got 25 Wrigglers. They died overnight Day 2/3.
Within a week she had laid again and this time got 45 wrigglers which again all died day 2/3.

Now at first I thought getting eaten by the other fish but the 2nd lot I actually watched getting weaker and dropping off themselves with no help from other fish.

I have tested my water this morning with the following parameters

KH:1
GH:6
Temp:29.4 Degress
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 6.4

Now my water changes per week can vary depending on my work as I do shift work and pretty long hours BUT most of the time they get a 50% water change 2/3 times a week.
I don't age my water overnight.

This first batch I did a 20% water change the afternoon after they hatched.

2nd lot I had done a water change the morning that she laid and did not do one till after they had died.

My issue is I did a 50% WC yesterday morning and by the afternoon she had laid again.

My WC consists of tap water with prime, salt and a discus mineral. After advise on here when I had sick fish I don't use any buffers at all to lower the PH which comes out of my tap in the high 7's.

If there is anything I can do to help these guys please let me know.
My plan is to separate them into a 160lt tank on their own.

Have added some pics.

pete1947
03-06-2013, 12:22 AM
nice pictures

Orange Crush
03-06-2013, 12:32 AM
So the pH in the tank is 6.4 and it comes out of the tap in the high 7's? Perhaps the swings in pH everytime you do a wc is too much for the fry to handle. It is stressing the adults and will weaken their immune system but they can deal with it much better than fry.

Tramac
03-06-2013, 12:36 AM
I did thing the swing in PH could be the cause.
I will set up a large bin and age some water over night with some PH buffer and try and do water changes with that.

Inland Empire Discus
03-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Clean up the parents with PP and then a Fucin treatment. Most likely the parents are passing something on to the fry.

Inland Empire Discus
03-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Clean up the parents with PP and then a Fucin treatment. Most likely the parents are passing something on to the fry.

timmy82
03-06-2013, 05:14 AM
Good advice Bill. I would try that. Each discus I receive gets PP, Triclorafon, Prozi & and quick Formalin bath before I let them out of QT after 20+ days and don't seem to have any issues any more with the Discus I receive.

Keith Perkins
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
You mentioned doing WCs with tap water, are you very closely matching the tank water temp? Just another thought besides Bill's very good ones.

Tramac
03-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey guys.

Thanks for all the good advice.
I'm really careful with the temp of my water changes an the digital thermometer never changes a full degree.
Can I treat the parents in the community tank or treat them once they are in their own?
I did read its better to let them go for a few batches as it makes them better parents?

Thanks again

Inland Empire Discus
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I personally would treat them in their own tank as it is a more controlled environment.

Jeff O
03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I did thing the swing in PH could be the cause.
I will set up a large bin and age some water over night with some PH buffer and try and do water changes with that.

Do NOT use Ph buffer. Just let the water age on its own.
-Jeff

Tramac
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
So the latest bunch of eggs have hatched with a nice number of wriggles.

I did treat the whole tank before this last spawn with Wardley Promethyasul which contains - Mafenide Hydrochloride, Aminacrine Hydrochloride and Malachite Green.

Unfortunately a lot of the product you guys get to use in the US we can't get out here.

I do treat my tank on a monthly basis with KUSURI WORMER PLUS.

Regardless what happens with these wriggles I will be setting them up in their own tank and seeing how they got.
I will search the forum on the best set up.

I have however filmed the wrigglers this morning so enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6A6Ca7UUg

Tramac
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh forgot to add my Eruption and Brown also laid yesterday AGAIN and for ones their eggs seem healthier.

She seems to lay on the strangest spots and on area's I have not been able to get into and clean :(

I try not to muck around with it too much though as they are obviously happy if they are spawning.