PDA

View Full Version : Big Tuck's Artificial Raring System

SharkAquarium
03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
There is a sticky by Big Tuck in this breeding section that is, IMO, just great! For those interesting in artificially rearing discus fry, it addresses water quality and feeding, at the same time as providing a means to keep the wigglers healthy through their first few days of free swimming, even up to their first food, in a confined area, keeping them close to their feed.

I was wondering if anyone had taken this approach any further, particularly towards angelfish fry. The similarities are obvious, but the size of the spawn of angels would require something larger than the coffee filters he was using.

Any thoughts?

g

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Check out angelsplus artificial rearing system.

Larry Bugg
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
or check out Han's system

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99674-Discus-Hans-artificial-breeding-pipe

John_Nicholson
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
So we are making post saying to look at another post in the same section?

-john

Chad Hughes
03-07-2013, 11:45 AM
The OP was asking about options similar to the system that Big Tuck developed. I think subsequent posts are valid options, no?

I was wondering if anyone had taken this approach any further, particularly towards angelfish fry. The similarities are obvious, but the size of the spawn of angels would require something larger than the coffee filters he was using.

Any thoughts?

g

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p_nnF-bcE7c

MKD
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
great find and great video!!!
thank you,

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Word to the wise, it works good on Angel fish, not so much on Discus. If your going to go artificial with Discus, better off with Hans's tubes.

Rick

John_Nicholson
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
The OP was asking about options similar to the system that Big Tuck developed. I think subsequent posts are valid options, no?

Ok I was confused...not that it is a new thing....LOL.

-john

Chad Hughes
03-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Getting old sucks John. Trust me, I know. I'm nearly 40. :D

Ok I was confused...not that it is a new thing....LOL.

-john

Poco
03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Word to the wise, it works good on Angel fish, not so much on Discus. If your going to go artificial with Discus, better off with Hans's tubes.

Rick

Rick, why wouldn't it work for Discus?

Skip
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM

have you seen the monsters rick crosses..

he has tried EVERYTHING!!

he also BETA Tested Hans Tubes

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM

angel fry are not slime coat feeders, discus fry are. The design of the angels plus jar is ok for feeding BBS, not so good for trying to feed an eeg yold powder mix.

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
he also BETA Tested Hans Tubes

Well........not exactly.

Poco
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
angel fry are not slime coat feeders, discus fry are. The design of the angels plus jar is ok for feeding BBS, not so good for trying to feed an eeg yold powder mix.

Thanks Rick. is it because the jar is a bit small?

BODYDUB
03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Well........not exactly.
So what it the definite answer plz...............

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks Rick. is it because the jar is a bit small?

The size isn't the issue, getting a feeding disck into the jar is problematic as well as any off the egg yolk mixture that fals of the disc and stays on the bottom sponge.

nc0gnet0
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
So what it the definite answer plz...............

It's complicated.......It just so happens that Hans and I were both working on simular breeding tube designs (with a few differences) at the same time without each others knowledge.

SharkAquarium
03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Wow, I had assumed that people would take this further, but I had no idea to this extent. Really great! Gotta love the INTERNET!

g

ref0716
03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Just another observation. I've used Big Tuck's system many times for Discus when that special pair would refuse to parent raise. It concentrate BBS so that fry can't help but run into and eat them while minimizing water quality problems. I've also observed that BBS is not as good as slime coat for the first week or 10 days. Side by side comparison, under the same conditions, show that parent raised fry grow about 2 or maybe 3 times faster than fry raised artificially on BBS in Big Tuck's apparatus. Bottom line, it works if you have to use it, but parent raising is a better method.
Richard

nc0gnet0
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Just another observation. I've used Big Tuck's system many times for Discus when that special pair would refuse to parent raise. It concentrate BBS so that fry can't help but run into and eat them while minimizing water quality problems. I've also observed that BBS is not as good as slime coat for the first week or 10 days. Side by side comparison, under the same conditions, show that parent raised fry grow about 2 or maybe 3 times faster than fry raised artificially on BBS in Big Tuck's apparatus. Bottom line, it works if you have to use it, but parent raising is a better method.
Richard

You have to remember the OP was inquiring about angel fish, and for them the above statement is not true. I will agree with your observations about the artificial raising of discus to a point, but by three months of age, the ones raised artificially catch up in growth. It is my belief that the biggest reason raising artificial is still slightly problematic is we have yet to find the perfect substitute for slime coat.

The reasons for perfecting a good system to raise artificially go beyond problematic parents. For one it allows the breeder to produce multiple spawns off of one set of parents, another would be it is the only sure-fire way to ensure your fry are disease/virus/parastie free.