PDA

View Full Version : Making plastic drums discus safe

SejRamkas
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
So I pose a question to any of you that are using 55 gallon plastic drums for water aging. What is the best method to clean/sanitize/make these drums safe for holding water? I recently bought a drum that previously held "green" cleaner. Now I know a drum holding cleaner probably wasn't the best choice, but this one was used for holding non toxic cleaner which is basically soap. It still smells like the fragrance additive, and aside from filling it up and flushing it over and over again what is the best way to clean and make this thing "discus safe"? Is it even possible or did I make a bad choice in my barrel?

papyol
03-07-2013, 10:04 PM
You need to buy food grade plastic drums, I recommend that you dont use one that held any type of cleaning solution....

Bill63SG
03-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I think you made a bad choice.I wouldnt attempt it,green or not.any plastic barrel Ive gotten were "food grade",they held tomatoe sauce.If I had to,I would use it as a rain barrel for awhile before using on fish.

SejRamkas
03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Yea I'm thinking I should have gone with my gut instinct on this one. I found a good deal on one and figured I would be able to wash it out since it was plastic. I guess I'll just have to keep looking for a food grade one.

Fire-Ted
03-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Get ready for the flamin' replys LOL!!!!

Seriously, though, i have used non-food grade containers for aging barrels.

Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I always test on less picky (expensive) fish first for a couple weeks first.
Ted

SejRamkas
03-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I kinda figured this post might get flamed hard. I guess I was just wondering if its even worth attempting to clean it or find a new source for a food grade barrel. I'm only out 15 bucks if its not going to work. I figure for another 20 I can find a food grade one and I'm still coming in under the price of the equivalent trashcan/rubbermaid container. So bring it on I can take criticism or suggestions of any kind. I figure its a learning experience for everyone on here anyways....

MSD
03-07-2013, 11:21 PM
There is no saving money when it comes to keeping expensive discus. You shave a few bucks here or there and you have sick or dead discus.

Poco
03-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I too only use food grade barrel, a 55g costs between $20-$30. I wouldn't risk hundreds of dollars worth of fish for $30. OP you make your own call, but I hope you make the right one.

Bill63SG
03-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I kinda figured this post might get flamed hard. I guess I was just wondering if its even worth attempting to clean it or find a new source for a food grade barrel. I'm only out 15 bucks if its not going to work. I figure for another 20 I can find a food grade one and I'm still coming in under the price of the equivalent trashcan/rubbermaid container. So bring it on I can take criticism or suggestions of any kind. I figure its a learning experience for everyone on here anyways....

I found my food-grades on craigs for $20.

papyol
03-08-2013, 12:12 AM
I found my food-grades on craigs for $20.
+1:thumbsup:

Pancho
03-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Hey sejramkas where do you live? There is a guy in New Jersey close to Philadelphia selling food grade drum for $18

SejRamkas
03-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Alabama unfortunately..... not much in the tropical fish game going on around this area... or anything really for that matter :D Plenty of barrels available, but none in the area. I just found some food grade ones posted on craigslist late February. Hoping he still has one.

barkmanusd
03-08-2013, 01:37 AM
I also found food grade barrels for $20 bucks. Craigslist, at least in Tx. has a few folks selling them every week. Can't imagine why you would even risk it......

j123
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Just because somebody calls their chemicals and cleaners "green," don't think it's safe. It's just a buzz word marketing uses. Gas stations call their gasoline "green."

Robherf
03-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Years ago I had a contact that would get 55 gallon drums of olive salad. By the time I got them there were funky. But I washed out good and used them. I got rid of them when I moved because I built a new system in my new house. I had a 75 gallon tank on a shelf in the room that backed up my tank. It worked great because I drilled the bottom of the tank and Plumbed it through the wall into my main tank (140 gallon) so all I had to do was turn a valve and in would drain in to my main tank. I even was able to drain the main tank riyht into a utility sink It worked great because I finally got rid of dealing with barrels. The tank was salt water. My ro unit was hooked up to a float valve on the 75 gallon so it stayed full. I had a couple power heads in there to keep the water circulating I mixed my salt water in there and all. Since then I remodeled the house and moved my tank so that system didn't work anymore because my tank is on an exterior wall now so I'm back to the damn barrels. Since I can't get them anymore I use the 42 gallon rubbermaid trashcans they are food grade and you can get the wheels that fit under them. The can and wheels will run you about $50. Ghats what I'm using now

SejRamkas
03-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Ended up finding a new food grade barrel for 20 dollars yesterday and that is what I'm using now. Everyone here is right its just not worth the risk. I tried washing it numerous times, and I don't think it's worth the effort. Fortunately I found someone to take the other one off my hand and I didn't risk my discus by using it.

Discus novice
03-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I think usually it isn't a problem

ronald sherman
03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
hey any information on the guy in nj close too phila as i live in phila pa ne phila and def need 1 as i'm using a 29 gallon fish tank at the moment with a emperor filter and heater,lol