PDA

View Full Version : well water question

cichlidsickness
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
My well water comes out of tap at 6.9 ph and about 107.4 gh and kh according to the api test kit( 6 drops each) After aging it in a 55 gallon bucket with an air stone for 24 hours it goes to 8.2 Ph. What can I do to get my well water conditioned for discus? I have a 180 gallon tank I want to make in to a discus tank. I also have a RODI on my kitchen faucet but it wouldnt produce enough water to fill this 55 gallon aging setup that I have and the aging bucket is on the other side of the house.

Chad Hughes
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
You have a severe CO2 saturation issue with your well water. Good news, just age that water for 24 hours and you'll be fine!

cichlidsickness
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
when I age it, the water goes to 8.2 Ph and the GH and KH dont change. The air stone just removes the CO2 right. Isnt that water still too hard for discus and what should I do about the high PH? I dont want to buffer it every time.

Chad Hughes
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Yes, the CO2 is gassing off allowing the pH to stabilize. That pH will be fine for keeping domestic discus. Wilds and breeding pairs would need softer water.

Are you planning to breed discus or keep wilds?

cichlidsickness
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I want to just create an amazing Discus tank for my home and nothing more than that. I want to get my discus from a board sponsor and he keeps them at 7.2 ph so how would I get them into a tank with 8.1 Ph without causing PH shock or lots of stress. My cichlids of course I just plop and drop with no problems but discus seem more fragile.

Chad Hughes
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Your aged water will suit you well for what you intend to do. Aging is critical though so never skip that step.

In my experience, if you buy fish that are already in a pH of 7.2, you could easily plop and drop without issue. Transitioning from low to high is MUCH easier than transitioning from high to low. Dropping pH from high to low can result in osmotic shock if not done correctly (acclimating). Speak to the seller that you wish to purchase from. They are the most knowledgable about their discus and should be able to guide you through this process.

cichlidsickness
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks Chad, once my Manzanita comes in and I get the tank setup I will make my discus move. Once I learn to add pics on the site I will put some up.

Chad Hughes
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Great! I'd love to check out your setup.

Have fun!