PDA

View Full Version : green water...

utiliy
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
ok-out of 11 tanks-i have 1 that turns green evrey 2 days direct sunlight-no. painted blue background and black posterboard on it and the sides...its by a door-that may have a draft. could it be the bulbs? lights on a timer, which stays on probably more than normal-but so does the rest.
its a 125g, with an aqua clear 110, and a marineland hot magnum 250 with a bio wheel. has also 3 sponge filters which i clean very often. ok folks...any feedback is greatly appreciated-its driving me nutz!

SMB2
03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
1 that turns green every 2 days

Great water, green slime on stuff? More info might help. Water parameters, this tank the same as the others?
If truly green water, do you have a UV you can set up on out flow of the 250?

-gb-
03-13-2013, 11:53 PM
How often is "very often"? Also, do you have any pictures? Like Stan said... the more info the better.

utiliy
03-14-2013, 06:44 AM
i clean those ATI sponges at least once a week. no slime or nothing-the water is just green-i mean a light green. i never test my water unless im breeding discus, never have...been keeping discus for years and never have. the problem tank is like the others, all bare bottom, use of sponges and at least 1 power filter except on breeder tanks. i have 1 tank in front of the window-and it dont turn green. i do about 90% W/C on this tank just before i posted ithis..ill take a pic sat, im sure it will be green.

MSD
03-14-2013, 06:58 AM
UV will stop it and not interfere with water quality like additives will. Been there, done that.

rcomeau
03-14-2013, 07:38 AM
UV is best but has a cost.

Keep it completely dark for a few days by completely blocking out all light in addition to keeping the lights off.

Why not do a 100% water change including wiping the walls and rinse the filters using water from another tank? Rinse clean it all without killing the bacteria in the filter.

MSD
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Nothing else will get rid of green water but UV unless you move the tank or some other major change in this case.

Deepak
04-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi, I think you can try reducing the feeding by half and cut out all light = total darkness for three days. Do a 50% water change on the 2nd day and you should have clear water by the 4th day. This worked fine with me with BB. Though this is very difficult if you have plants inside.