PDA

View Full Version : Discus has fungus

stef
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM
My discus have been sick and turns out they have fungus. I treated them with Interpet antifungus and finrot meds yesterday and they seem to be better (turning less dark and more active). I have been doing partial water change regularly prior to giving meds. Do I still do water change now? The treatment is for 7 days but I'm worried about the water quality turning bad if I leave it for too long.

Mgardner
03-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Just FYI someone will ask you to fill out the questionnaire. The link is above. Copy and paste and fill it out as completely as possible. That way the experts have more info and can help you out sooner and more correctly.

stef
03-13-2013, 10:33 PM
ok will do, thanks.

stef
03-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I bought 6 new discus fish for my tank about 10 days ago and they have not been adapting to the new tank very well. Two of them turned very dark and I noticed white cotton like growth on the side of their bodies about 3 days ago.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turning black, not eating, white cotton growth on the side of the body. Two of them were also lying on their side but they are now better since meds.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Interpet Anti fungus and finrot started yesterday. Also did partial daily water change since Sunday. Noticed immediate improvement re colour and general behaviour after meds.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

20 litres of water, 6 smallish discus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

See above re water change. Tank been running for about 2 weeks. Gravel.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __22___

- ph ____7.2_

- ammonia reading ___ under 0.5mg/l

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____ under 10mg/l

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No

stef
03-14-2013, 04:19 AM
I just want to know if I should keep doing partial water change if I have put meds in. The instruction only mentions water change after 7 days if you are redosing.

Bill63SG
03-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Dont know if its a mis-print.20 liters=about 5gals US.That is way to small a tank for 6 discus with gravel.I would take out the gravel,water change 75% everyday,add the meds right after the wc,and get a bigger tank.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Dont know if its a mis-print.20 liters=about 5gals US.That is way to small a tank for 6 discus with gravel.I would take out the gravel,water change 75% everyday,add the meds right after the wc,and get a bigger tank.

+1

Trier20
03-14-2013, 10:04 AM

+2 and your tank is only 22. It should be 28-29. And your tank isnt cycled yet. This will help alot too.

strawberryblonde
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
How big are these smallish discus? Small could mean many things.

If they are under 3" then they'll need at least a 20 gallon tank with daily water changes once the filter is cycled. Until the filter is cycled you will want to do 2 water changes per day to keep the ammonia levels down. Ammonia and Nitrites area deadly for all fish and especially so for discus.

If they are about 3" then move them up to at least a 29 gallon tank, preferably a 40 gallon tank. You'll still need to do the same water changes while the filter is cycling and then drop back to a daily water change once it's established and you have nitrites showing up on your test kit.

Add your meds each time you change the water. For my hospital tank, I remove all but about 1/2" of water each day, then give a full dose of meds when I fill the tank again.

What are you using to condition the water? I like Seachem Prime because it's very concentrated so a little goes a long way.

And as others have said - no gravel while they are growing and you are learning about how to raise them. =)

Allwin
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Tank size matters + temp 22deg sucks. Increase the temperature gradually to 30deg. Posting can be be helpful.