PDA

View Full Version : Better picture for your opinion

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t389/CalliRose214/20130312_174026-Copy_zpsae655498.jpg

Could you give me some idea if this Discus is coming along ok, or stunted. This is the biggest of the 4 I got. Just wondering if I am doing this right or not. Thanks

Jeff O
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
IMO its stunted the eye looks very large In comparison to body. However, the pattern isn't fully developed eaither it may grow a little more, only time will tell.
-Jeff

Kal-El
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Do you know how old this little guy is and how big? It looks stunted, but if it's still very young it may still have a chance to turn out ok with clean water and good diet.

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I got it in late August and it was probably 2 inches or so. This is my first time trying to actually grow some out. I thought maybe it was sort of stunted. I will keep them for my own enjoyment. Just wondering how they were coming along. Appreciate the honesty.

Kal-El
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I got it in late August and it was probably 2 inches or so. This is my first time trying to actually grow some out. I thought maybe it was sort of stunted. I will keep them for my own enjoyment. Just wondering how they were coming along. Appreciate the honesty.

Do you remember at what size you purchase them at? I would assume base on the date you got the fish this one is probably 8-9 months old and is definitely stunt for the size it is at now. If not stunt and raise correctly with the standard that everyone on this forum would recommend it should be 4+" and 5-5.5+" at the very best care.

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Well, I guess if I buy anymore, they are going to have to full grown.

Elliots
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I am not sure about buying full grown fish. If you look at the Discus Hans' site he gives prices for all sizes from about 2" to 6" or larger. If money is of absolutely no concern buy the biggest he has. He may even have bigger fish for sale not listed on his site. I have been there and seen the large ones, they look terrific. I personally selected 5" fish because there is a big price jump from 5" to 6". His 4" fish were nice too, but I thought 5" was a better buy for me. I did not want to go smaller than 4" for all the reasons posted on SD. Also I think Hans means at least 5" when he says 5", not approximately 5". The fish I bought were mostly 5 1/2 to 6". I selected the fish myself. I picked by coloring, not size. Remember when you deal with Hans and the other SD sponsors you should not be concerned with the healt of the fish unlike when you buy in a LFS.

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Elliots! I am going to try to get over to see Tara's fish as soon as I get a chance.

strawberryblonde
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Sandy,

I think you can raise discus successfully. You've learned a lot from these forums about proper water changes, feedings, etc., right?

So there's no reason not to try to raise some more, but to make it easier on yourself, purchase 3.5" - 4" youngins rather than the 2" ones. Oh and use one of the sponsors from these forums in order to get the best quality and prices.

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks....the ones I got were quite small. I have a 3 year old one that I got before this FORUM and this new one is almost as big has him now. So, I have learned "somethings"! LOL Next ones I get will be a little bigger for sure~

PP_GBR
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Sandy,

By no mean I'm an expert but I see your fish is still young by looking at his transparent caudal fin. As the fish matures, his caudal fin will show/fill up with patterns and colors. If the fish this size with caudal fin patterns fully developed then you'd be wondered why. Keep doing what you're doing now and enjoy them.

If you're going to buy larger fish, look for body shape rather than colors. IMO, you could enhance the fish colors with feeds but not the other way around.

Sandy Clay
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks PP GBR . I am going to try to maintain everything as I have been and hopefully they will continue to grow. Yeah, I have learned about the body shape from all of you guys!