PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new discus tank

volcano
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Hello, everyone. I am new to keeping freshwater fish of any kind. I have been trolling this forum and others gathering as much information as possible. My dad used to breed cichlids back in the 80's, and I maintained all the glass bottom tanks. This is the extent of my freshwater fish keeping. However, I have been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years and currently I am running 600 gallons of reef aquariums. I am very familiar with water chemistry, filtration, quarantine, etc. and feel Discus keeping should be an easy learning curve.

Recently, I picked up a 75 gallon corner tank that is reef ready and has everything to operate a fully functioning reef system. It's is drilled with a sump and has all the filtration I need. Obviously, I will remove the skimmer, but my goal is to run a discus tank in similar fashion to a reef tank. I want a live sump, for filtration. I can even hook up a spare UV sterilizer if need be.

I know most people recommend bare bottom tanks. However, this is going to be a display tank, and I feel it needs to be planted. I have read many horror stories of people running from the hobby because of a planted tank crash. I do not think that will be me, considering nothing has made me leave the reef hobby. Not to mention, I have an extensive background in Botanical science and hydroponics. I think discus will be very enjoyable to keep and I am not turning back now.

My fist question for the forum is for filtration. If I am running a sump, must I use bioballs? I see many people use them with discus. Many people were using them in the reef community as well. Then they realized that they were phosphate factories and switched to filter socks, live rubble rock, filter floss, live sand, chaeto, mangroves, chemi-pure elite, snails and crabs. Is there anything I can use similar in fresh water filtration? I plan on using filter socks, filter floss, chemi-pure elite, live plants, etc. in my sump.

Next, what is the best approach to laying out the display tank? I see people use gravel and sand and aquascape accordingly. Personally, I like the clean look of sand.

I am sure more questions will come as I read all the posts and look at different display tanks. However, I appreciate all your help and info. and thank you for taking the time to read this and help me begin my journey. :)

a volar
03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome to Simply!

Bioballs and filter socks will be enough, you can ad the UV sterilizer also...... I don't see a need for chemi-pure.

If you like the sand look, you can use a pool filter sand as substrate.

When you mention is going to be a display tank, I guess you are planning to get adult discus right?

volcano
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Yes, I was thinking adults. However, I am considering my options. A farm here has adult farm raised and WC specimens. The lfs has very poor quality discus. They are hiding in the back, and look skinny. I also looked at some online sites for discus, but possibly you will know the best place to buy from and what to start with.

a volar
03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, there are so many well known sponsors here in the forum; they can get you a really nice and HEALTHY discus.

Where do you live?

Skip
03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
[QUOTatvolcano;985971]Yes, I was thinking adults. However, I am considering my options. A farm here has adult farm raised and WC specimens. The lfs has very poor quality discus. They are hiding in the back, and look skinny. I also looked at some online sites for discus, but possibly you will know the best place to buy from and what to start with.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Look st sponsor pages for great fish

Being a reefer. U know about expensive fish..

Get fish 5" plus. . It will make u most successful

volcano
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Where do you live?

I live between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio.

Look st sponsor pages for great fish

Being a reefer. U know about expensive fish..

Get fish 5" plus. . It will make u most successful

Thanks for the advice! Yes, very familiar with expensive fish. Before spending, I do a lot of researching.

a volar
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Here it is......

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104298-March-2013-Jeffrey-Yang-Shipment-50-strains

volcano
03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Here it is......

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104298-March-2013-Jeffrey-Yang-Shipment-50-strains

I really like the Ring Super Pigeon Checkerboard, Rafflesia, and Golden Spotted and Striated . Thanks for the link.

discuspaul
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
volar - I was just going to suggest Mike Beals of Central Ohio Discus - you beat me to it !

volcano
03-19-2013, 08:50 PM
In reef aquariums, I use live rubble rock and live sand in my sump as part of the filtration. I have heard of discuss keepers using pumice or terracotta for filtration in a similar fashion. What are you all using?

a volar
03-19-2013, 09:27 PM
In reef aquariums, I use live rubble rock and live sand in my sump as part of the filtration. I have heard of discuss keepers using pumice or terracotta for filtration in a similar fashion. What are you all using?

I'm an ex-reefer also........ Basicly, the main filtration you need with discus is biological, that can be done with any media in your sump (you mention that you are going to be using one) it could be bioballs, sponge, etc. I use scrubies in one of my sumps, also I use filter sock as mechanical filtration.

strawberryblonde
03-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Yup yup, I'll second what Ismael said. All you really need for discus is bio-filtration.

I made a super simple sump that worked perfectly. It was 4 sheets of Poret foam, filter socks to keep the crud out, a return pump and a heater. I used Purigen temporarily when the tank was new in order to reduce the phosphates and brown algae in the tank. Discarded that after a few months and never had any issues with brown algae again.

The simpler the sump is, the better...at least for me. I know some people go all out, but it really isn't necessary. Discus are SO much simpler (in that respect anyways) than reef fish. =)

Ohhh, you asked about substrate! I prefer a nice white sand in my tank. Tried plants, got tired of beating them up every time I had to change the water, so they eventually went away. Then I bought a big stump with some interesting features and plopped that into the tank. The fish like it and it's easy to clean. But so long as you have adults, there's no reason not to have plants, so go for it. I love the look of a planted tank!

volcano
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm an ex-reefer also........ Basicly, the main filtration you need with discus is biological, that can be done with any media in your sump (you mention that you are going to be using one) it could be bioballs, sponge, etc. I use scrubies in one of my sumps, also I use filter sock as mechanical filtration.

Okay, good to know. My sump does have an area where bioballs balls can be placed around a filter sock. Then there is an area for filtration media and filter foam and then the compartment where the water is returned. So whatever is the easiest and works well, works for me.

Yup yup, I'll second what Ismael said. All you really need for discus is bio-filtration.

I made a super simple sump that worked perfectly. It was 4 sheets of Poret foam, filter socks to keep the crud out, a return pump and a heater. I used Purigen temporarily when the tank was new in order to reduce the phosphates and brown algae in the tank. Discarded that after a few months and never had any issues with brown algae again.

The simpler the sump is, the better...at least for me. I know some people go all out, but it really isn't necessary. Discus are SO much simpler (in that respect anyways) than reef fish. =)

Ohhh, you asked about substrate! I prefer a nice white sand in my tank. Tried plants, got tired of beating them up every time I had to change the water, so they eventually went away. Then I bought a big stump with some interesting features and plopped that into the tank. The fish like it and it's easy to clean. But so long as you have adults, there's no reason not to have plants, so go for it. I love the look of a planted tank!

Good, I really want to stay somewhat simple. I like the white sand and I want it to be easier to maintain than my reef aquariums. ;)

Now lights?

I have several 130 watt LED fixtures laying around and I also have some old coralife 260 watt t5s laying with 4 blue / white actinic bulbs. I was thinking those would all be overkill on a discus tank. It's not like discus live on a bright, clear, reef all day and I am sure my metal halides wouldn't work. lol. I was trying not to go buy too much new stuff and recycle what I can. What do you recommend using?

Skip
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Sump or not.. still need water changes

volcano
03-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Well certainly, mass volume water changes are a piece of cake here. ;)

BODYDUB
03-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Just by reading your posts it sounds like your geting all your ducks in a row before going out and purchasing some discus. Then posting here a week or two later about how you think something is wrong and won't eat. Just giving you props man, good job............

volcano
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah, thanks. I made that mistake many years ago and learned my lesson quick. Right now my main focus is setting the display tank and QT up correctly and cycling them. Then I will worry about buying fish. However, I am still looking and making a discus wish list.

Elliots
03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
If you are thinking of a planted tank maybe you want to get the plants first? I think the problems with planted tanks crashing on this site is maybe due to people who add CO2 or people who try to raise small Discus in a planted tank. I was going to raise small Discus in a planted tank myself but because of the possible problems I read about on SD I elected to start with adults. I recommend no smaller than 4" fish. I started with 5" fish because I thought they were a better value than 4" and 6" fish. I do not think I got any other benefits by selecting 5" fish.

Josephcasey5
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
U should change ur tank 10% every week, even more if there breeding!

volcano
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Cool, thanks to know. That is beyond easy. I am changing out more volume in salt water QTs. A 50% water change on a 60 gallon fresh water will be simple.

a volar
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM

??????

strawberryblonde
03-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Good catch Ismael!

Just to make sure all who read this thread understand what we're talking about when we say large water changes:

For Juvies, large (90%) WC's every day are the bare minimum if you don't want to get into trouble. For me, I did twice a day water changes till my discus were 6"!

For Sub-Adults, if you want maximum growth, continue the LARGE daily water changes till they are at least a year old.

For Adults, the type of tank you have, planted vs. non-planted, will make a bit of difference in your water change schedule, but as a general rule you can't go wrong with 80% WC every other day. You might be able to reduce it to every third day, but that's only with plenty of water testing and trials to see what effect it has on the discus.

For Breeding Adults, go back to the daily WC's, especially once there are fry in the breeding tank.

volcano
03-22-2013, 08:25 AM

I was thinking more like 75% every other day for adults. 10% seems like immediate disaster.

strawberryblonde
03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
I was thinking more like 75% every other day for adults. 10% seems like immediate disaster.

That sounds about right for adults. =)

Josephcasey5
03-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Yah, salt water fish are harder to keep and more expensive, but they are really good looking fish, but I think u would enjoy keeping discus, I've only been keeping them for a week and a bit and I love keeping them!

redlionvjx
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
good luck, these huge wc are a bit scary

a volar
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
good luck, these huge wc are a bit scary

Out of curiosity, why they are scary?