PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhh!!!!!! ***!!!

dadecountyalan
03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
THIS YEAR HAS BEEN A KILLER FOR MY FISH!

ive lost two amazing fish to freak things. my white pigeon with a sever wound to his head, my amazing red turq dying from one night to the other and her body turning black and now i wake up in the morning to find my red malboro BEHIND my tank dried up

***!!!!!!

for today fish keeping has me deppressed

Poco
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the fish. It is part of the game. Look at the bright side it is time to get some more of those beauties.

jobber
03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Not cool to hear about any losses.

Sent from my mobile phone

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Sorry Alan to year this :(

PP_GBR
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Alan:

Where are you position the heater?

Discus-n00b
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I feel your pain, I've been through patches like that myself.

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Alan, could you have a stray electrical charge in the tank?

Kal-El
03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost... I had an issue and I posted here a while ago with a bad heater sending electric discharge to my fish. I would always wonder why my fish look spook all the time and kept getting bruises to their body.. Once I saw the issue in the act seeing my fish going crazy and flying everywhere in the tank, I replace the heater and it never happen again. I'm just happy I didn't lose any fish. Anyway, you may want to check that heater to see if it's the issue. Best of luck to you...

MKD
03-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Sorry Alan to hear that, it's a worst feelings. let us know if anything we can help or figure out.

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
You can also ground the tank however if the header is the problem I would replace the heater. In my case I have a leaky pump and I added a ground probe.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan. Hopefully things look up for the rest of the year. Positive thoughts.

PP_GBR
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Grounding a tank is way to go. At least, plug the heater to a GFI.

Allwin
03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
GFI means?

Grounding a tank is way to go. At least, plug the heater to a GFI.

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Gound Fault Isolation. Has a switch in the outlet so if there is too much current in the line the switch triggers and turns off the power in the line or turns off the outlet.

cjr8420
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
ive seen where one discus was nipping others at night and causing similar problems.it looks like something is causing them to get spooked and ur getting the leftover effects sry bout ur fish hope u figure it out

dadecountyalan
03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. i have two heaters on each side of the tank but only one runs, the other is a back up. i dont think its the heater because the one thats running is brand new. im guessing this is a case of

S### happens. nothing you can do about it but move one with your head up.

i plan on visiting marion at florida discus. she seems like a very loving and kind person and i cant wait to pick out some ricky lim fish to grow out. these are going to get special treatment though. im going to put them in a 20 gallon tank. they are going to be feed masively and 90% water changes daily.

i want to see how big i can raise them now that i have so much more knowledge of discus. 3.5 years= a lot of acquired knowledge

PP_GBR
03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Alan:

It seemed like your fish got hurt at night, when the light was out and you do not know what really happened to them because you were not in the room. I am asking the position of your heaters in the tank. What time is your last feeding and the light switching off? Did you siphon the food before the light was out? Please answer these questions.

dadecountyalan
03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Alan:

It seemed like your fish got hurt at night, when the light was out and you do not know what really happened to them because you were not in the room. I am asking the position of your heaters in the tank. What time is your last feeding and the light switching off? Did you siphon the food before the light was out? Please answer these questions.

i fed them a 3 hours before i turned off the lights and they always devour all the food that left. also, i have corry cats and a betta that eat any scraps.

as far as the position of the heaters, its in the far right hand corner.

strawberryblonde
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. i have two heaters on each side of the tank but only one runs, the other is a back up. i dont think its the heater because the one thats running is brand new. im guessing this is a case of

S### happens. nothing you can do about it but move one with your head up.

i plan on visiting marion at florida discus. she seems like a very loving and kind person and i cant wait to pick out some ricky lim fish to grow out. these are going to get special treatment though. im going to put them in a 20 gallon tank. they are going to be feed masively and 90% water changes daily.

i want to see how big i can raise them now that i have so much more knowledge of discus. 3.5 years= a lot of acquired knowledge

I love Marion's discus! I had a chance to work with a lot of the pics of her stock a few months ago and drooled all day everyday while I was working on them. <sigh>

I don't know if this helps make big discus or not, but when I raised mine I got in the habit of doing 2 water changes per day till they went into my big tank. (5-6") At that point I continued with one huge water change per day till they were a year old, then went to every other day.

Since the foods I fed are the same as everyone else feeds, I'm leaning towards thinking that it was the 60% WC in the morning that added the extra growth to my discus. 90% was at night.

Good luck with the new babies and be sure to post pics when you buy them, ok?

the20tonknuckler
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry about your fish. Losses suck.

Ryan
03-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Never rule out equipment/heaters, regardless of the age. I've had heaters dead right out of the box, and some very expensive titanium ones that quit working about 3 months after I purchased them and left my tank at 65F! You may run a test for stray voltage just in case.

Northwoods Discus
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Stray voltage was a silent but severe problem when I was doing dairy work as a veterinarian. The cows would be acting funny, getting ailments, and low production. When stray voltage was corrected a lot of the problems resolved. GFCI plugs are easy to instal. Just take out the regular plug and put in the GFCI. I have them on both circuits in my fish room.

PP_GBR
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Alan,

Repostition the heaters. You could place them on bottom, vertical or horizontal; it's your choice. If you're placing them vertically, move them up higher so they do not touch the bottom, leave enough space equal to the height of the fish. I have watched my discus stucked their head in between the heater to pick at food drop behind it. Luckily, my fish was still small, he was able to get himself out. When you remove the heaters, check the holders to make sure there are no sharp edges before placing them back to the tank. This is to ensure they won't get split/cut if they ram into the heaters.

On the night of the incident, did anyone else enter the fish room after you? Make sure the is no light flashing at the tank at night. Do do leave a night light on at night? Are your cory cats feeding at the same time with the discus? It is possible your cory cats spooked them while they came out to eat at night. There are many possibilities and you need to find out what the problem is. Fix it to prevent it happen again before adding new fish in that tank.

I have checked the stray voltage in my tank. Depending on the equipment, they run between 4-12 V. The 3 month old 150 W Eheim had 4V. Only the HOB (Emperor) had zero. I just replaced the Eheim with ViaAqua titanium but have not tested the voltage yet.

I asked my electrician and he said even at low voltage like the door bell, it is enough to shock you let alone the small fish in the water. He said he'd check with his master and let me know. Until then, good luck.

dadecountyalan
03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
I love Marion's discus! I had a chance to work with a lot of the pics of her stock a few months ago and drooled all day everyday while I was working on them. <sigh>

I don't know if this helps make big discus or not, but when I raised mine I got in the habit of doing 2 water changes per day till they went into my big tank. (5-6") At that point I continued with one huge water change per day till they were a year old, then went to every other day.

Since the foods I fed are the same as everyone else feeds, I'm leaning towards thinking that it was the 60% WC in the morning that added the extra growth to my discus. 90% was at night.

Good luck with the new babies and be sure to post pics when you buy them, ok?

i sure will toni! i cant wait to go visit her

Alan,

Repostition the heaters. You could place them on bottom, vertical or horizontal; it's your choice. If you're placing them vertically, move them up higher so they do not touch the bottom, leave enough space equal to the height of the fish. I have watched my discus stucked their head in between the heater to pick at food drop behind it. Luckily, my fish was still small, he was able to get himself out. When you remove the heaters, check the holders to make sure there are no sharp edges before placing them back to the tank. This is to ensure they won't get split/cut if they ram into the heaters.

On the night of the incident, did anyone else enter the fish room after you? Make sure the is no light flashing at the tank at night. Do do leave a night light on at night? Are your cory cats feeding at the same time with the discus? It is possible your cory cats spooked them while they came out to eat at night. There are many possibilities and you need to find out what the problem is. Fix it to prevent it happen again before adding new fish in that tank.

I have checked the stray voltage in my tank. Depending on the equipment, they run between 4-12 V. The 3 month old 150 W Eheim had 4V. Only the HOB (Emperor) had zero. I just replaced the Eheim with ViaAqua titanium but have not tested the voltage yet.

I asked my electrician and he said even at low voltage like the door bell, it is enough to shock you let alone the small fish in the water. He said he'd check with his master and let me know. Until then, good luck.

thanks man. you got my interest with the position of the heaters. i would often see them reach for food behind or around the heater.

blueluv
03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Hello everyone

I'm new to simply discus and semi-new to the discus hobby. I just to say sorry for your loss, I've lost a couple of discus myself. We become attached to them quickly and it's a real bummer when we loose a discus. I've learned to except the cold hard facts about discus.

tnguyen9
03-27-2013, 11:29 PM
that is some luck but once you are at the end of your bad luck your good luck will pick