PDA

View Full Version : Aquasoil Amazonia in a discus tank

jasongman86
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Hello All,

I'm setting up a display tank for my 6 discus from Hans. They were all grown out from 2.5" juvies into 4-5" (only one is 4" and he's the bully, the rest are pushing 5" go figure) in around 3 months. I had planned on putting them in a 55 gallon, but got an incredible deal on a 120 gal with fx5 filter so I had to jump on it. Now I wish I had gotten a few more discus. Anyway I'm going to do everything right on this tank, high tech, pressurized CO2, reef capable LED marineland lighting (works great for plants - I have it on several planted tanks.) I have lots of experience with plants mostly in small tanks with DIY CO2, but this tank is a center piece in my house and I want it to be Amano-esque. Also I'm not worried about the discus freaking out from having people around in a centerpiece tank because they were raised in the same location and they have never been scared when we've had lots of people over, drinking, being loud whatever. If anything they think they are getting fed when people come up to the tank.

My question has to do with aquasoil amazonia. I want my tank like this one by "The Green Machine" in the UK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU&list=PLADA7A41C9ABEBA51&index=8. Plants in the center of the tank and a lap of white sand going around the outside of the tank. I know aquasoil amazonia is great stuff, but I have never used it. I know it has buffering capacity and it meant to be used with RO/DI water. I have an RO system, but it's not really feasible to make water changes to the 120 using it. I can store a max of 37 gallons of it and that's pushing it. It's much easier to use the tap (pH 7.6, KH 5, GH 12, and 0 ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) but will I be basically destroying the soil/not using it to its full potential? I know the soil leeches humic acid, a weak acid into basic water. The acid will win the battle for a while but with 3-4/week at least 50% water changes the tap water will win the war. CO2 being added will lower the tap pH however so maybe it's alright. I'm very familiar with the chemistry of the situation, but does anyone have experience with this? I'd rather use eco complete and have happy fish than have a nice looking tank and dark fish with clamped fins due to pH swings. Also not worried about using the dark substrate because the planted area will be covered in a carpet of glossostigma. All exposed substrate will be white.

lipadj46
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Aquasoil Amazonia produces quite a bit of ammonia for a long time so you need to fully cycle the tank before adding fish. I would not worry about the buffering capacity unless you have sensitive creatures like taiwan bee shrimp or altum angels. Just use tap water IMO.

Fire-Ted
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
I have discus in a tank with aquasoil. I would recommend getting the plants going first, 3 to 6 months. Pressurized CO2 on a tanl that large is not easy to get balanced.

Until things are stabilized you will put unnecessary stress on your discus.

Ted