PDA

View Full Version : New Discus, In QT lack of colour and Silverish gills

cuska
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and looking for advise. I just picked up two new Discus from the LFS to add to my planted tank that has been going for about 3 years. I currently have a discus in it for the last 6 months just fine.

The problem I have is the two new guys are in my BB QT and have developed a shiny/silver tone to their gills, they are also hanging around the filter tube and are lacking coloration.

The tank is currently not medicated, at ~84f ph is ~6.5 water is soft

I've become worried as last night they didn't eat the mysis shrimp and today they refused the pellet food that the lfs used to feed them

http://i.imgur.com/d6eAxOD.jpg

any direction would be appreciated.

flexo248
03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
please fill out the questionaire....see top of the page

cuska
03-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Last night, refusing to eat. this afternoon i noticed the discolouration

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating, lack of colours and silver-ish gills.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish 20gal BB QT, 2x Discus

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water? Daily

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____ 84 f

- ph _____ ~6.5

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0
- well water ____

- municipal water X
7. Any new fish/plants added recently, 3 days new in BB QT

flexo248
03-23-2013, 04:12 PM
any white poo?

cuska
03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
their poo is normal

Kal-El
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
They are probably not settle in yet. It can take a new discus especially with just two 2-3 weeks to really settle in and eat normally. Discus are school fish so having 6 or more to start will make them feel safer and not as afraid to come out to eat. In this case their's only two so they are a little out of their comfort zone. I would do daily WC and feed lightly with lights off. Once they settle in and start eating you can turn the light back on and feed them normally. I hope that helps.