PDA

View Full Version : Wc situation 911

Gethenet
03-23-2013, 01:00 AM
I have been storing water down stairs in a brute 44 gallon container. Tank is one floor up and I have been pumping the " aged" water up to it. Well the pump failed...and I won't have the new one ( 1/2 Ho 2000 GPh) until Tuesday at the earliest. I have a way to do Wc with a python, but that only works with tap water ( not aged) ...should I do that, and just get the temp as close as I can.....or not do a Wc for 5 days!?!

a volar
03-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Have you check if your tap water PH swing after 24 hrs?

Gethenet
03-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Noi haven't checked that. Before having discus I never aged water, and always did it this way with never a problem. Use to have angel fish.

a volar
03-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Fill a bucket with tap water check PH, place an air stone inside bucket wait 24 hrs and check PH again, if PH doesn’t swing more than .3 or .4 I'll say it's safe to use tap directly to tank while you wait for your new pump, just add prime or safe when putting water to tank.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-23-2013, 07:19 AM
You can go with the old fashion way and hand carry the buckets from the aged water to the tank. If your tap does not have the same parameters as the aged it could effect the fish.

0Dgreen
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
You can go with the old fashion way and hand carry the buckets from the aged water to the tank. If your tap does not have the same parameters as the aged it could effect the fish.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Keith Perkins
03-23-2013, 09:53 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing.

Me too. It's a pain, but your fish will be happier for it.

Ps - no where is it written those #@$@ buckets have to be full when you're carrying them up either. What's a couple more trips.

Skip
03-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Straight tap won't hurt

Jus make tap ph is higher than tank

the20tonknuckler
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Lol. I still use buckets. Been thinking I need a pump for months now.

Keith Perkins
03-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I went from buckets to building the fashcave downstairs on the other side of the new wall with the reservoirs just behind it and still using pumps. :)

BODYDUB
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Be careful when doing w/c straight from the tap. Don't do a w/c until you know what your PH difference. Tap water can still hurt, even kill your fish if you PH swing is too big.............On the other hand. Same thing happened to me when my water pump broke. So I had no way to pump water from the aging barrel to my tank without doing it 5Gs at a time, and it would've took some time to do all 90Gs at 5Gs a time. So I did daily w/c of about 25% of the tank's total water till my new pump came in and everything came out fine.