PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskin, what is it?

GMT2812
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Guys,
I am new here and fairly new to discus, I have kept stingrays in the past and I am just getting into discus as well.

I recently purchased 22 red turq x Red Snake skin from a guy that got them from Gary.

Can someone show me the difference between a snake skin and a turque? I guess I am trying to get up on the lingo. The 3" fry are showing some 9 bar and some with a lot more. I am just curious on what the lingo is and what the differences will be.

Thanks
Kevin & Gina

troysdiiscus
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
look through thesehttp://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71055-Strain-List-for-Beginners-(pictures)/page2&highlight=discus+for+beginners
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71055-Strain-List-for-Beginners-(pictures)

GMT2812
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
So If I am understanding it correctly the 14 bars will be snakeskin, and the 9 bars will be turqs?

Keith Perkins
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
So If I am understanding it correctly the 14 bars will be snakeskin, and the 9 bars will be turqs?

Generally, yes. Some snakes have excess bars so you could have more than 14, no idea how true Gary's are. Doesn't matter much, nice fish are nice fish even if they do have 17 bars.

Turq's might vary on bars a bit too, but it's more common with snakes.

GMT2812
03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Long term we would like to try and breed them. Should I be keeping the ones with more bars together and the ones with less bars together for a better turn out on fry?

Keith Perkins
03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
In my opinion, if you're going to breed them you should separate them when you reach that point. They're fine together until then. Even if they miss pair in the community tank perhaps you can determine the sex of a couple of your fish. Odds are pretty high the eggs/wrigglers wouldn't survive in a community tank.

GMT2812
03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I will most def separate them when they start breeding. I guess my question is should I try and keep the snakeskins together to get pairs and then the red turqs together for pairing. Or with these does it really matter?

Thanks

Keith Perkins
03-23-2013, 05:08 PM
It doesn't really matter. You separate miss formed pairs later they'll probably repair up with someone else, most aren't that fussy.

mmorris
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
IMO there is no "mis-pairing" with ss and turq. A ss x turq pair gives ss and turq offspring. Two ss paired will also give ss and turqs in nearly the same ratio. Unless you want only turq and no ss offspring, there is no need to separate. What's nice is you can identify which is which when they are really young by the number of bars.

Rod
03-29-2013, 07:25 PM
IMO there is no "mis-pairing" with ss and turq. A ss x turq pair gives ss and turq offspring. Two ss paired will also give ss and turqs in nearly the same ratio. Unless you want only turq and no ss offspring, there is no need to separate. What's nice is you can identify which is which when they are really young by the number of bars.

I agree with you Martha. 9 bars always come from snakeskin breeding and in very similar proportions to snakeskin cross 9 bars. Snakeskins don't breed true, but they are worth the trouble because good ones are so beautiful!