PDA

View Full Version : Water change question

Eward
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi
I have a 60 gallon bb tank with 2 pieces of drift wood, and 2 small live plants. I age my water in a 35 gal Brute garbage container, and change water every day-( 30+ gallons) I'd like to do a larger water change, 100 %, but I'm not sure what how to do it. Should I do 2 30 gallon water changes on in the AM, one in PM? Or should I put fish in large bucket (with aged water) and fill tank half with aged water and half with tap water? I'm leaning towards 1/2 Am and 1/2 Pm but I want to know what all you smart people think :D

DiscusLoverJeff
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
If you only have one 35 gal aging barrel you are only limited to that amount unless you add another barrel. Aging water usually takes 24 hours (thats the recommendation). If you are mixing the aged with the tap, you do risk a slight ph swing. It might not be enough to effect your fish, but the safe way if possible is to get another barrel.

a volar
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
If you only have one 35 gal aging barrel you are only limited to that amount unless you add another barrel. Aging water usually takes 24 hours (thats the recommendation). If you are mixing the aged with the tap, you do risk a slight ph swing. It might not be enough to effect your fish, but the safe way if possible is to get another barrel.

You are doing 50% water change daily. any particular reason you want to do 100% daily?

SMB2
03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
I think there is a way to speed up the aging process if you are willing to do a little testing:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103755-quot-Rapid-quot-Water-Aging

One garbage can fits inside the other for storage so you could do 60 gal aged in 6 hours or so.

Eward
03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
No particular reason for the bigger water change A Volar, just thought they might like some really really clean water.. Also, one of my nicer fish, 5 inch Flechen from Hans, is a little off his food, nothing major, but I thought big water change might be in order.

a volar
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
No particular reason for the bigger water change A Volar, just thought they might like some really really clean water.. Also, one of my nicer fish, 5 inch Flechen from Hans, is a little off his food, nothing major, but I thought big water change might be in order.

I see... I ask because 50% daily water change it’s fine to me, unless your tank is overcrowded, at what temperature you keep the tank?

Eward
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Temp is 85 degrees. Not crowded- 4 5", 4 Cory cats, 1 bn pleco. Planning to get2 more from Hans as soon as my Qt tank cycles