PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Eward
03-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I hope I can get some help. In January I lost 2 juvies to what I thought was a worm issue. I treated the whole tank ( 60 gal). Everyone else seemed fine. Now my favorite fish, who was the alpha, is not right. Not eating, not interested in food. Even live brine. Still looks fine. Here is the questionnaire.

Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
5" Flachen stopped eating a few days ago. Will occasionally pick at food, but not the eating machine he was a few weeks ago. Haven't seen poo in awhile.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Not eating, showing little interest in food. Sometimes isolates himself, but most times with the others

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Prazi pro & metro in January. 1 dose Prazi pro at the end of February- I saw some white poo in a different fish, and a white worm at the bottom of the tank. No way to know who it came from

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
60 gallon, 4 5" discus ( thanks Hans!), 4 Cory cats,4 lemon tetras, 1 bn pleco

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Aged water, 40-50% changed daily, Bare bottom w/ 2 small pieces of drift wood, and 2 amazon sword plants

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __85___

- ph ___7.5__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5.0__

- well water _n___

- municipal water __y__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently no

Fish still looks fine, but I don't want to let this go if it turns into what happened last time

strawberryblonde
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
My discus do this occasionally and then snap out of it if I up my WC's to every day. If they don't respond with a week of every day WC, I get pro-active and treat the entire tank. That's only happened twice in 2 years, but here's how I handle it.

I do a treatment for the entire tank of Tetra Parasite Guard. It's Prazi, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin.

The treatment is simply 1 tab per 10 gallons, big WC after 48 hours and redose tank. Then wait 5 days after second treatment and treat one more time. Each time you treat, let it sit in the tank for 2 days before removing it.

It won't harm your fish, and if you saw a worm a month ago there's a good chance that one treatment of prazi didn't eradicate them.

If the problem is worms, flagellates, gill flukes, etc, you should see a marked improvement by the time the second treatment is in the tank.

I like that the Parasite Guard has Acriflavin in it to prevent any bacterial infections from getting a foothold during the course of treatment. I've seen too many discus on these forums succumb to bacteria following treatment for worms and flagellates. I personally think it happens because the process of ridding themselves of the parasites depresses their immune systems. I don't have any hard facts on that, it's just my personal theory, but it works for me and my fish respond well.

Eward
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Should I keep doing daily water changes while treating the tank?

strawberryblonde
03-29-2013, 01:42 PM
It's up to you. I do them daily and then redose with the full amount of meds, but for a larger tank like yours it's going to get expensive and probably isn't necessary. Every other day should work fine...just don't feed them during treatment.

AQUARAMA
03-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe you should do a large wc before you start the treatment

Eward
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM
I couldn't findTetra prarsite guard. I found Seachem product, para guard. Do you think it is an acceptable substitute? How long should I withhold food, and why?

Eward
03-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I couldn't get the tetra parasite guard. Do you think Prazi pro and metro would be ok? Or should I used Seachem para guard? My Flechen still isn't eating, and I don't want to lose him... I have metro, Prazi pro and Epsom salts on hand. Water changes aren't doing the trick, and neither is using live food...any ideas?

PP_GBR
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
You know you could up the temp to 90 F to increase his metabolism. However, you need to add extra airstones and do not top off the tank, leave 3-4 inch below the rim to create airspace.

chaoslite
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Eward do you have a Petsmart or Petco by you? They usually have it there. Also on Amazon.

Mishka

Eward
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Last time raised the temp to near 90 I killed 2 Cory cats nd a bn pleco. My daughter was NOT AMUSED. I checked Petco and All pets for the parasite guard by Tetra. All thy had was Seachem para guard. I have Metro and Prazi pro. Will they do the same thing?

PP_GBR
03-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Have u checked other LFSs other than Petsmart & Petco? You could order supplies from Ken's Fish, he'a sponsor here and he is in Mass. He ships very fast too.
http://www.kensfish.com/

Here are some of them:

970 Main St
Manchester, CT
(860) 643-6200
Fintastic Aquariums, LLCfintasticaquarium.com
179 Deming St #D
Manchester, CT
(860) 648-1166
Aquatic Wildlife Companyaquaticwildlifecompany.net
1148 New Britain Ave
West Hartford, CT
(860) 232-8888
West Hartford Puppy Center and Aquariumwww.puppycenterandaquarium.com
406 Watertown Ave
Waterbury, CT
(203) 757-3832
Waterbury Aquariumplus.google.com
874 Boston Post Rd
Milford, CT
(203) 701-0300
Exotic Fish & Coralswww.exoticfishandcorals.com
99 Bruce Park Ave
Greenwich, CT
(203) 661-8131
House of Finswww.houseoffins.com
479 E Main St
Branford, CT
(203) 483-7387
All Pets Cluballpetsclub.como

Eward
03-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info. My real question is can I just use the Prazi pro and Metro? Or, can I use the Seachem para guard?

strawberryblonde
03-31-2013, 03:28 PM
It's better to use a product that contains both Prazi and Diflubenzuron but if you can't get the Tetra, then just use the Prazi for now. If they don't have worms we can then explore other possibilities.

PP_GBR
03-31-2013, 04:33 PM
I read from Stendker's website, they said their fish do not have tapeworms. But it does not mean they do not get infected from other fish in your tank. IMO, if Tetra is what you need, why don't you call around or order it from Ken's. Treat the fish with the right meds and be done with it rather than using something else which may not work and it costs you more $ to buy more meds.

Eward
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the advice.:D
"Hoppy" Easter everyone