PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for my First Discus Tank

Garofalo79
03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi all-

This is my first post and wanted to comment that this is an extremely helpful forum with a great deal of information-appreciate all of time people put into helping others and the hobby. I have been checking out the site for the past 2 months or so. I currently have a 55g African cichlid tank but am looking to getting into Discus. I am just starting my research and a lot of things are still up in the air but below is one of the schemes I have worked out and was hoping for any suggestions. Thanks!

1) 55 gallon glass tank
2) 6 discus (4-5.5 inch)
3) thin layer of substrate with driftwood but no plants
4) 3-D background from aquaterra
5) aquatop CF-500 canister filter
6) proper heating (to be determined)
7) Water changes 30% 3 times per week
8) Water change from directly faucet to tank via python or something similar
9) Tested municipal water from tap ph 7.4. Water after sitting for 36 hrs ph is 8.2.

The above is not an all inclusive plan but it does raise some initial questions on my end.

1) With a 3-D background, is 6 adult discuss too much for a 55g? Should I go with a 75g? Should I cut back to 4 discus?
2) Is it ok to add water for water changes directly from the faucet if I calibrate the temperature as close as possible?
3) The ph of my water tends to rise. Should i invest in a RO/DI system and/or barrel age the water?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dan

Wes
03-30-2013, 10:49 AM
RO not needed but ageing barrel yes since ph is rising almost a point. Depending on where in the country you live, direct from the faucet may stress your fish with winter water that we get up north. Remember to use prime or safe.

Poco
03-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Welcome to SD Dan!

55g will be pushing it a bit considering you will have 3D background which will reduce the available 12inch space and driftwood will be another. If you want to go with the 55g I wouldn't use either. 75g will be better.

If I were you I would also age the water you have a 0.8 pH swing which will cause problems. You don't need an RO unit, just a water barrel, air pump and heater to age water.

Garofalo79
04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback Xeriod and Poco- I'll be back soon enough with more questions!

cichlidsickness
04-02-2013, 05:53 AM
If you want a 3d background that only takes up about 1 inch of tank. look in designs by nature and get one of their slimline BGs.

Octavio Salles
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm planning on starting a discus tank too, quite similar to yours... but if you add water directly from the faucet, how would you deal with chlorine and such? Not to mention the PH drift of course...

That's a question for the more experienced users out there. I ask because my tap water is good for discus and the PH doesn't seem to shift at all.

lipadj46
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm planning on starting a discus tank too, quite similar to yours... but if you add water directly from the faucet, how would you deal with chlorine and such? Not to mention the PH drift of course...

That's a question for the more experienced users out there. I ask because my tap water is good for discus and the PH doesn't seem to shift at all.

Use a dechlor

Octavio Salles
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Use a dechlor

But when do you use the dechlorinator? I suppose the new water must pass through a storage tank first so the dechlor can act... am I wrong? Sorry, complete newby here.

troysdiiscus
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Welcome Octavio, saw some of your pics they are truly stunning!! Welcome Garolafo to SD. Octavio you can add prime directly to your tank before you water and it works pretty quickly to break down chloramine and or chlorine to non toxic levels. Works for 24 to 48 hours, thats why you dont add directly to your aging barrel cause it sits for 24 hours. Also when you break down your chlorine in aging barrel it starts to leave a slim like coating in your barrel but the main reason is the chemical breakdown of prime is time limited. So when it does break apart the chloramine and ammonia to non toxic levels your bio filter can absorb the rest. Alot of threads on here about how to use. I actually talk to someone at Seachem about this. So I just use directly in my tank before I add my aged water. Also the aging process with agitated water will degas the water the steady your PH and reduce those pesky microbubbles..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103728-many-opinions-on-prime-here-is-the-fact

Nicklee
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Just start a wild discus tank a couple of month ms back. Still learning. Good luck on yours...

Octavio Salles
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Welcome Octavio, saw some of your pics they are truly stunning!!... Octavio you can add prime directly to your tank before you water

Thank you!

Garofalo79
05-04-2013, 11:48 AM
With a slimline background is it possible to hide equipment behind it? I'm thinking canister filter intake, return, and a couple of heaters?

Thanks again

troysdiiscus
05-04-2013, 11:59 AM
No, I have a slimline in my 110 gallon only takes up about 3/4 to an inch in space. If you are looking to do that you would have to use a sump. Not a good pic to show you but you can see the background.
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o661/troyndeb/008_zps86a2d0e1.jpg (http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/troyndeb/media/008_zps86a2d0e1.jpg.html)

Garofalo79
05-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok, back to the drawing board. Would I have any issues with doing a 55g, a 3D background, and only 4 adult discus? If it can handle 4, can all 4 be from different strains? I may leave out the driftwood or do very small driftwood.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
A 55 gal tank is very narrow and with a 3d background, they won't have much room.

You can have many or a single strain if you want, thats personal choice. If you are not breeding, strain choice can be anything.

Garofalo79
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
If I were to go with a 90g and a slimline background, would I be able to install the background a few inches from the back so that I can fit my canister equipment behind it? I just haven't seen these up close before.

horseplay
05-23-2013, 08:02 PM
if you really want to hide the equipment get a drilled tank and sump.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2