PDA

View Full Version : Maturing a newly-acquired aquarium

Tommy Saville
03-31-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm getting a previously-used 50-gallon tank this week. After I have sterilised it I will be setting it up for Discus. Water for the tank will come through mains filters which remove chlorine, and heavy metal ions. The tank has a built-in trickle filter system in the lid and the media will probably have dried by the time I get delivery. I propose removing the trays that contain carbon and filter wool, adding some new ceramic noodles and fleece pads. Should I fill the tank with mature water from existing Discus tanks, or new filtered water? Previously I have matured the filters in new tanks (filled with aged filtered water) by putting in a couple of dozen Cardinal Tetras and a few Corydoras catfish bought from a reputable store, aided and abetted by Biozym bacterial capsules. I can also add a sponge filter from an established Discus tank. These fish will be fed with the usual flake foods and live whiteworms. I'm hoping that this procedure will give me, in about 6-8 weeks, parameters of ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates around 25/30. Then introduce the Discus.
I have never matured a new tank by using fish-free methods which entail feeding the filters with ammonia, but if the general opinion is that it's a better method, I'm willing to try it.
Any comments ?

Trier20
03-31-2013, 07:09 PM
If you move a seeded sponge filter from a running tank. You're done. That's all you need.

Tommy Saville
03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
If you move a seeded sponge filter from a running tank. You're done. That's all you need.
I wasn't sure if that was enough. Thanks.

discus6628
03-31-2013, 08:00 PM
I have the similar thought before. I had sump along with sponge filter in 100g. I new to prepare the QT tank for my new frys in 30g. I moved the sponge filter in my old tank and use it in the QT tank and it work just fine. I would said it is good enough after that experience.

I wasn't sure if that was enough. Thanks.

Keith Perkins
03-31-2013, 10:21 PM
I'd see if you can get a mature sponge filter from who you get your discus from.

sandy
03-31-2013, 10:55 PM
All you need is a sponge filter from a establish tank that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poco
03-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Just add Evolution Aqua aquarium or Pond balls a or two day before you are getting the discus, keep up the daily water changes you will have a cycled tank in less than two weeks.

I have used them myself amazing stuff.

Tommy Saville
04-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Just add Evolution Aqua aquarium or Pond balls a or two day before you are getting the discus, keep up the daily water changes you will have a cycled tank in less than two weeks.

I have used them myself amazing stuff.
I know about the Pond Balls, here in UK they are called Pure. But for filter bacteria "assistance" I've always used Biozym. Similar thing. Seems that with a mature sponge filter and Biozym I'll be OK...Thanks to all who have replied.