PDA

View Full Version : Base sand colour for hardscape

Nicklee
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Guys, I'm currently using sudo river sand which is kind of brown in colour. Was wandering if by changing the base sand to white sand, would my wild discus reflect better colours?

Len
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
It's really a matter of personal preference, but I find the colours stand out more on the fish against darker colours that create a little more contrast.

Trevor W
04-02-2013, 11:05 AM
I have personally had both a white silica sand and currently have a light brownish/beige silica sand, and I would agree with Len and that it is a matter of personal preference. This is within reason of course for instance a light beige or white would make your discus look nicer than say a jet black sand where alot of discus would appear very dark and pigeon blood strains would bring out there peppering. This is obviously the extreme end of the spectrum and I find that a light brown/beige vs a white silica sand would really have no side effects one way or the other. The only thing in my opinion that would be the big difference between the 2 besides personal preference on the asthetics would be that the white sand will show detritus alot easier than the light brown/beige which could be a good thing depending on your maintenance needs or habits. I currently do not have any wilds so I can't say whether or not the brown vs white would effect there colours more I am just speaking from my experience with domestics.

Nicklee
04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys. I personally choose the beige light brown mixed with xs pebbles becos it look a more natural plus detritus are a lot less obvious. But saw many choose white sand instead of beige brown, was thinking there might be a good reason behind it.

Trevor W
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a great mix. Do you have any pics of the tank your avatar fish is very nice. The main reason I had the white silica sand before was simply because that was all I could get at that time but I have since found a source for a nice brown/beige silica sand that is a little bit larger grain size than the white and I personally really like it but I have also seen many tanks wild tanks that use the white silica sand that look very nice. Check out Larry's (Bugman) homesteader section for a link to his youtube channel where he shows his fishroom and his wild tanks. They look very nice! also Matt (discus_noob) has an awesome tank of wilds in his thread "the wild side" and he used a more white silica sand and it looked stunning! All the best with your tank and dont forget to post pics especially if they look like that pic in your avatar:)

Nicklee
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv171/Nickleekumseng/Arofanatics/image_zps9e03faa5.jpg

Picture taken some time back. Had since added some WC discus cross. Will try a FTS soon.

Nicklee
04-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks Trevor for the advice. Had decided to stay with my beige sand/pebbles mix.:)

Trevor W
04-03-2013, 12:43 AM
WOW! Great looking tank, very well done. Very clean, simple, and not over done at all. What background is that? It looks great. Is it fairly thick and take up alot of space or is it the flat panel style? Great placement of the driftwood it plays on the rule of thirds very well and has great asthetic appeal.

Nicklee
04-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Thank you Trevor for your kind words. It's a 3d background took a good 3-4 inch off the tank width a some portion. Took quite a while to set it up and was luck with the driftwood for the right pcs are not easy to find at least in Singapore.

CrazyAngels
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Nicklee, just as Trevor stated, that is a sweet tank. I think you are doing the right thing by leaving it alone as it looks very natural just as is. Congrats

a volar
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv171/Nickleekumseng/Arofanatics/image_zps9e03faa5.jpg

Picture taken some time back. Had since added some WC discus cross. Will try a FTS soon.

This tank looks beautiful!
But you can allways try a pool filter sand, it's white and is't about $15.00 for 50 pound bag............
I like your 3d background, how's the maker?