PDA

View Full Version : What size tank...

Tarpon
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I am new to discus, I am still doing lots of research before I jump in. I would like to keep 4 or 5 discus in my tank, here are my questions:

What size tank would be the minimum size you would recommend?

What type of filtration?

Would probably only be able to do 2 possibly 3 water changes a week, straight from the tap as I do not have a place to age my water.

What heater would you recommend?

Anything that I am forgetting?

Mike

strawberryblonde
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
It's best to start out with the minimum number of discus that you should keep together, and then figure out the tank size after that.

4 isn't good. 5 is better, but 6 is much better.

If you have room for a 75 gallon tank that would house 6 adults plus some bottom fish like cories, and some dither fish like cardinal or rummy nose tetras.

There is no perfect type of filtration. I like HOB's, sumps and sponge filters myself.

If you already know that you would most likely only do 2 water changes per week then plan to purchase adult discus for your tank. They can handle that schedule so long as you don't over feed them. Juvies and sub-adult won't do well with only 2-3 changes per week.

You can try going straight from the tap, that's how I do it, but before you do, please make sure that your pH doesn't shift dramatically in a 24 hour period.

Tarpon
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I currently have a 70 gallon Mbuna cichlid tank, I am running 2 cascade 1000 canister filters on it. I do 40 to 50% water changes 2 to 3 times a week on this tank and the fish love me for it...

Not sure if the wife is going to let me get another tank this large, and really don't want to move my cichlids...unless I got a 55 for my mbuna and used the 70 for the discus. Just a thought...

Mike

Elliots
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
You should buy the largest tank you can afford that fits in your available space. That will allow you to add fish later if you want. I agree with Toni, six is probably the minimum number of adults but more is better. If cost is the reason, try Craigslist.

strawberryblonde
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Adult discus are fine with that water change routine, just not young discus.

A 70 gallon would work, so long as you don't overcrowd it. The general rule of thumb for discus is 1 fish per 10 gallons.

GlennR
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Who's the "man of the house" around there? Go buy her some stuff first! A new car & maybe a vacation might be all she needs...

Tarpon
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Cost is not really the issue it's more of a space issue, I also live in a pier and beam house with oak hardwood floors throughout, don't want to buckle or ruin the floors, just trying to get a game plan together before I jump in...

For now I plan to get adult fish, as I don't have the time to commit to the juvenile discus. And from what I have seen they are not cheap from a quality breeder...

Tarpon
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
And I am the man of this house....when she is not around that is...lol

Larry Bugg
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
And I am the man of this house....when she is not around that is...lol

LOL, welcome to Simply. That is the right answer. A happy wife is a happy life!!

Elliots
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I do not know about an oak pier and beam house but try to find out, if you can, how much weight the floor would hold. I ordered a custom metal stand for my 150 gal tank. It does not have 4-6 metal feet but it is made of metal tubing abour 1/2 inch square and sits on the floor along the entire perimeter of the tank. The weight is distributed. You might also want to try plywood under the tank to distribute the weight.

exv152
04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't recommend a group of four. Someone is gonna get beaten up bad. I would go with at least six in a75g, and I would go with adult discus. That way you can get away with 2 to 3 WCs a week. As for heaters, I would go with two, in case one fails and I would go with 4 to 5 watts per gallon to ensure you're keeping them at 84-86F. A heater controller is also not a bad idea.