PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Blue

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Hello friends,

I am starting another new project this weekend and looking for some opinions on what shade of blue to use on my 90 gallon tank. This tank already has an off white bottom (might have a light pool sand base), but looking for a shade of blue to compliment my white angel discus.

I chose blue because well, white on white does not work.

Lighting will play a part on the color spectrum of the fish, but it shouldn't effect the background. I will be using a T5 4 bulb fixture with 3 colormax bulbs and one daylight (10K) bulb.

I had a few choices already on my color palette.

Costa Rica Blue
Dodger Blue
Sky Blue
Light Blue
Cyan

I don't want it to be too dark incase I decide to throw some reds in there. For now, just whites.

Thanks,

Chad Hughes
04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I've used Sky Blue in the past and I really like it. :D

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I am leaning that way too Chad, thanks for the input.

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Jeff, the white angels have a hint of blue in their fins if I remember right? Perhaps a bit darker version of that blue.
Pat

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Jeff, the white angels have a hint of blue in their fins if I remember right? Perhaps a bit darker version of that blue.
Pat

They do indeed Pat. I just don't want it too dark that they lose some of their color. As we know all fish can change colors like a mood ring, Lol.

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Jeff, on second thought you could go lighter and I think I like that idea better.

Poco
04-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Pat

Agree with Pat. They will stand out a bit more with a slightly darker shade of blue.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks Poco. I might try Cyan or Costa Rica Blue.

My family room has the CRB and White. Looks great with my reef tank next to the walls. Its a little darker, but not too dark.

Although, I did see a palette for light sky blue. That was interesting. So I will stop and Lowes tonight and get some samples and hold them near my white angels. Yes, I will compare, Lol.

Discus-n00b
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
How can you lose more color then being white?! Lolol jk. I used a "blue ocean breeze" color spray paint and my white angels look great against it. I would lean towards the lighter shades of blue myself.

Bill63SG
04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Which ever is in the close-out pile at Home Depot.Thats how I pick my colors.

Trubble
04-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Which ever is in the close-out pile at Home Depot.Thats how I pick my colors.

That's how I choose my colors, too. I would lean towards a lighter blue, and look at what's on clearance.

sandy
04-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Go for light blue it will suite with white colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk