PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Discus in or near N. Virginia

Larry Grenier
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm consider getting back into discus after a long long break away from this aspect of my hobby. My most likely source will be Hans in Baltimore, < 2 hours from me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else not to far from me (I'd lile to pick-up) had something available at the moment. I'm not extremely picky but here is my wishlist:
1) About 6 to 8 fish
2) Healthy NON PIGEON
3) Not extremely expensive but I understand I need to be reasonable (willing to buy young and grow-out in a bare bottomed tank before I transfer them to a show tank with mimimal plants & driftwood).
4) I'd really like wild/domestic cross or perhaps F1 or F2 from wild parents but I understand that may be unlikely to come-by.

Thanks

decoy50
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Hey Larry - I think Hans is easily your best bet. I only know of two LFS near me that carry discus - one in VA Beach and one in Richmond. Both stores get their fish from Hans. 2 hour drive is a small price to pay to check out all his fish, avoid the stress of shipping and possibility of contamination from a LFS. Hans is three hours from me and thats where I'll be going when I take the plunge. Hopefully at the end of summer when I have my house fixed up - good luck to you.

YSS
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
There is a guy in Manassas who's been listing his discus on craigslist. He used to have a lot of good looking fish. He may still have some for sale.

SMB2
04-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Pristine Aquarium has Discus now and then (Alexandria, Pickett St.) but your best bet is Hans. Worth the trip by far, but call for an "appointment" (remember cash only).
Nothing better than a huge selection of healthy fish of all sizes.

DonMD
04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Petland in Fairfax usually carry discus. But you'll get more fish for your money with Hans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Larry Grenier
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks folks, just checking. I'm familiar with Hans and skeptical about pet stores for Discus.