PDA

View Full Version : Blue diamond genetics

vss
04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
just a pretty random question i have in mind. in a few discus books, the blue diamond gene was listed as recessive. If I recall it correctly, in one of Dick Au's books he used an example of BD x cobalt for illustration. F1 are all cobalts, if BD is defined as strictly barless and patternless blue fish. Some might have very solid face and body blue color and is pretty close to a BD but they still show light head/tail bar sometimes and some minor patterns at the edge of dorsal and anal fins. In a sense kind of like Wayne's royal blue titan. After inbreeding F1 cobalts, there will be a small % of BD showing up in the F2 (statistically 25%). In this sense, BD does look recessive.

So my question is, is this true regardless what I outcross the BD with? Say if I cross a BD with a LSS, and then inbreed the F1, is it possible that part of the spawn will be blue diamonds? Thanks.

Xiaofei :)

John_Nicholson
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes. You should get some. Can't tell you the exact percentage though.

-john

cjr8420
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
or just breed 2 blue diamonds and save alot of work lol

nc0gnet0
04-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Based on what I have seen, I don't think it is recessive in the classic sense of the term. While it might be true that you need homongenous BD genetics to have a classic BD, the gene can still express itself in the heterozygous form. For an example of this simply look at one of the couple of Red Cover x Blue Diamond cross's that have garnered attention.

I also have a theory that the BD gene and the PB gene are in close proximety to each other.

Rick

bornlooser
04-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Interesting topic,Rick, could you pls elaborate on your theory....anything to do with your BDxDark Angel cross..where i believe that the Dark Angel has PB blood.....does this imply that BD and PB could be crossed with minimal peppering?

vss
04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Yes. You should get some. Can't tell you the exact percentage though.

-john

Thanks John! Great to have an answer from an experienced breeder like you.

vss
04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Based on what I have seen, I don't think it is recessive in the classic sense of the term. While it might be true that you need homongenous BD genetics to have a classic BD, the gene can still express itself in the heterozygous form. For an example of this simply look at one of the couple of Red Cover x Blue Diamond cross's that have garnered attention.

I also have a theory that the BD gene and the PB gene are in close proximety to each other.

Rick

Thanks Rick! would like to hear more about the theory too :D

CliffsDiscus
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi have already cross Wayne's Blue Diamond with Schmidt Focke Colbalt and Gan's Giant Colbalt back in the 1990's when the BD first appear commerical in
the market. Some really mix results especially with the Gan Colbalts crosses. Some breeders might call this a step backwords.

Cliff

John_Nicholson
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
A step back I guess depends on the fish involved and how much work someone wants to put in. In at least some cases cobalts were used to get the red eye into BD's and also to help take care of some of the digestive issues that BD's sometimes have.

-john

Allwin
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Definitely lots of work in early days and we are enjoying the hybrid genes now. BD's may be highly available these days, but those are the ones attracted myself to discus hobby.

Allwin
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
And how about the growth rate of BD's compared to others? Heard it is comparatively slow growing..

John_Nicholson
04-16-2013, 04:51 PM
I have never noticed any real difference in their growth rates. Maybe in the old days but I could not afford them back then.

-john

CliffsDiscus
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Definitely lots of work in early days and we are enjoying the hybrid genes now. BD's may be highly available these days, but those are the ones attracted myself to discus hobby.

Good time to buy price is right, not exactly the same Blue Diamond that World Wide Fish Farm sold their babies for $200 each but still nice solid blue fish.

Cliff

Allwin
04-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Whether solid blue background for bd's will apply more dark coloration on the fish resulting in dark blue color?

CliffsDiscus
04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Whether solid blue background for bd's will apply more dark coloration on the fish resulting in dark blue color?

From the cross with Wayne's BD with the colbalts the result were light or sky blue with the lost of the brilliants.

Cliff