PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO DO WITH BULLY IN TANK

BADGERBOY
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I have three 4 inch discus in a 40 breeder my rainbow dragon is smaller but bullys the other two there eating but hard to what should i do thanks.

Skip
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
nothing.. they grow out of it.. its normal

you should have got at least 6 fish.. they spread out aggression.. they are cichlids.. it is what they do

Kevin C
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
+ 1. They're just trying to establish pecking order. If the bullying gets too stressful for the other fish in there, to the point of not eating, then you may need to take the bully out and then reintroduce it back after a week or two. I had to do that couple of times and it worked.

troysdiiscus
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
++1 or if you have the room to put in a tank divider you can section him off and pull the divider later sometime that works as well...
+ 1. They're just trying to establish pecking order. If the bullying gets too stressful for the other fish in there, to the point of not eating, then you may need to take the bully out and then reintroduce it back after a week or two. I had to do that couple of times and it worked.

John_Nicholson
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
You can get more fish or leave it alone. Separating the fish will only work if you keep it that way forever. Even then one of the two that are left will take up the role. What you are seeing is perfectly normal with all animals.

-john

Allwin
04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
How about a separator with in the tank for time being?

John_Nicholson
04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
How about a separator with in the tank for time being?

Ok but what happens when you remove it? They just have to set the pecking order again. The 3 most nature things for any animal to do is ...eat, mate, and fight. The best option is a minimum of 6 fish.

-john

Discus Ranz
04-16-2013, 08:24 PM
New here.... But gonna chime in anyway.
Pecking orders, as everyone has stated, is a natural process. I tried a few times removing all the fish from the tank, re-arrange the scape and return the fish. Sometimes it would work....sometimes not. And that wouldnt apply with a bare bottom. They "will" grow out of it though. And if not?......... the bully fish? Punch it in the face!

Heh heh heh........... kidding of course.

~Ranz~

BADGERBOY
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone going to leave them alone and get more discus. He only bullys when i feed