PDA

View Full Version : Discus chasing others away from food.

NickehStickeh
04-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Hey SD,
Long time no post.

I have 5 7-9cm discus.
When I feed the bigger 2 are always pushing my other 3 away from the food and from this I don't think they're getting enough nutrition/variety. I am now in the habbit of feeding a larger portion of dry food as well.
Any tips/info would be much appreciated.

- Nic

blueluv
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Spread the food across the tank. You don't have to increase the amount of food you feed at once.

Discus Ranz
04-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Chances are good that the other fish are still getting their fair share of nutrition. If they get hungry enough they're going to figure it out. I have a couple that tail slap each other, chase, lip lock fight....... but they still get their share of food.

Worse case scenerio, you could seperate them.

Ranz

Gene
04-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Mine used to do this as well. I let it go on for a few days until the smaller ones started to fight back. Since then, no worries. Maybe not the best way to do it but I don't like to baby my fish.

the20tonknuckler
04-18-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm sure you know this but aggression is spread out with more fish. Most on here suggest a minimum of 6 or more. I think I read somewhere that Stendecker keeps groups of 10. The smaller the group is, the more likely that you'll see 1 fish getting bullied .

Bill63SG
04-18-2013, 06:36 AM
I'm sure you know this but aggression is spread out with more fish. Most on here suggest a minimum of 6 or more. I think I read somewhere that Stendecker keeps groups of 10. The smaller the group is, the more likely that you'll see 1 fish getting bullied .

5 should be ok,but because of this,dont seperate the other three.They're chiclids,chiclids fight.Unless the other three are starving,I doubt the other 2 can keep all the food away from them.Just ride it out.I prefer to keep atleast 6 together,and if the tank is big enough,more.