PDA

View Full Version : Canister vs. Sump

drob85
04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
- Can a sump be as effective as a canister filter or better
- having what size as a sump would I need possible stock as if I had a 120g tank?

Chad Hughes
04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
IMO, sumps are better.

Canisters are oxygen hogs. If I run a canister on a display tank, I try to run a small sump with it as well. Discus need lots of O2.

As far as sump size? no less than 30 gallons. There is no maximum really. The bigger the better!

barkmanusd
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
IMO, sumps are better.

Canisters are oxygen hogs. If I run a canister on a display tank, I try to run a small sump with it as well. Discus need lots of O2.

As far as sump size? no less than 30 gallons. There is no maximum really. The bigger the better!

Chad,
Could you give more detail on what/how a cannister is a oxygen hog? I have two70 gal+ primarily discuss tanks with cannisters in each. Works great but I've always heard a sump can improve water conditions and possibly reduce the need for water changes.....
i guess i'd like to learn more about the benfits from someone who uses them. Thanks!

Chad Hughes
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm not saying that canisters won't work. Canisters are an excellent compact filter that's self contained and easy to take care of.

Sumps are not closed to the environment like canisters. They breathe. Canisters rely on the oxygen in the water column to keep beneficial bacteria alive.

Don't confuse a sump with a refugium. A sump filters tank water in the same manner as the canister but they are much larger than canisters. Sumps will also increase your overall tank water volume. Refugiums use plant life to filter water much like a planted tank. The plant life up takes nutrients in the water such as nitrate and phosphate and also converts CO2 to O2. Overall there are literally no bad things about sumps or refugiums.

Hope that helps!

Sandy Clay
04-19-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't know if it helped the OP but it sure helped me! Thanks for explaining it!

0Dgreen
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
The coolest thing about sumps is you can put you heater and airstones in it so they dont show in your tank...also you can pack them with whatever media your heart desires

barkmanusd
04-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm not saying that canisters won't work. Canisters are an excellent compact filter that's self contained and easy to take care of.

Sumps are not closed to the environment like canisters. They breathe. Canisters rely on the oxygen in the water column to keep beneficial bacteria alive.

Don't confuse a sump with a refugium. A sump filters tank water in the same manner as the canister but they are much larger than canisters. Sumps will also increase your overall tank water volume. Refugiums use plant life to filter water much like a planted tank. The plant life up takes nutrients in the water such as nitrate and phosphate and also converts CO2 to O2. Overall there are literally no bad things about sumps or refugiums.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Chad! That does help! You are right, I know the difference between a sump & refugium but I always blend the 2 together.....
I would really like to try one. Maybe I will...thanks!

pcsb23
04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Given the choice I would always use a sump too, another benefit of them is they increase the total water volume, which can improve overall water quality.

drob85
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok thank for every comments so my next Question is where can i find a good sump becuse my lfs does not carry sumps they only carry overflow tanks

joanstone
04-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Most people just use aquariums for sumps. $1/gallon sale at Petco right now.

Chad Hughes
04-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Google "aquarium sump" and hit the "shopping" tab. You'll find hundreeds of choices.

You can also make your own. They're called "DIY aquarium sumps".