PDA

View Full Version : Fungus? Eating away at flesh quickly!

dennis09x
04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Small white fuzzy spots showed up a few days ago and now they have tunneled into the fish flesh creating large open wounds!

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Hiding, no interest in food, some tail standing, fungus spots leading to large holes in skin, progressing rapidly. Fungus showed up as tiny spot few days ago and now measuring 1 cm at widest. On three of my 8 discus, But only on the same breed/color!

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
Just started first dose of API liquid fungus cure, need to look at ingredients when I get home.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
9 month old tank, 150 gallon
8 adult discus, 30 tetras, 20 cories.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Sand, running 9 months, wc daily 40%, straight tap water w conditioner added, no aging

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___86__

- ph ____7.3_

- ammonia reading ___0.1_

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _5___

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
15 tetras a month ago

dennis09x
04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I'll upload more when I get home

PP_GBR
04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Dennis:

Hans gave you the RX in your old thread.

Poco
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Here is what Hans said in your other thread

topped tea spoon metronidazole for every 60 gallon for 7 days

Hans

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104345-Discus-pros-i-m-not-finding-an-answer-to-this-issue/page4

dennis09x
04-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Ok I've done as Hans instructed. Hopefully this takes care of this. I'm pretty sure if this takes my lot, I'm pulling the rest of my hair out with these guys.

dennis09x
04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Should I dose with salt as well?

dennis09x
04-18-2013, 11:19 PM

PP_GBR
04-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Dennis:

Make sure you have plenty of aeration in the tank. Good luck.

100fuegos
04-19-2013, 09:40 AM
That hurts. Really hope it works. Best of luck to you fishes.

I have seen something similar to that in the past in another forum, it was the male of a couple with one week old fry. Owner was able to recover him with a mix of antiviotics, nor female or fry were ever infected. Treatment was done with female and fry due to the lack of tanks. Can not give you any more details, sorry.

dennis09x
04-23-2013, 11:05 AM
After 6 days of treatment, 500 mg metronidazole per 10 gal and 60% wc daily, we have overcome this obstacle. Thanks everyone! Now it's time to let the holes heal.

PP_GBR
04-23-2013, 11:28 AM
D:

Let's talk about your regular WC and feeding schedules.

dennis09x
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, in the 150 I'm doing 45 % wc after beef heart, once a day. Then the tetra color bits mixed with marine bits/ dehydrated blackworm c spinach cubes in the evening.

blueluv
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Hello Dennis,

I had similar incident with some discus in the past. Have you tested your ph lately? Sometimes that could be do to a ph crash.?

dennis09x
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
The ph has been relatively stable 7.1-7.5 when I checked. I'm thinking it coincided with a large filter/sand bed cleaning I did a week prior. But it may be speculation.

blueluv
04-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Well here is what happened to. My ph dropped and my discus looked fuzzy and their skin had a lot of open sores, here is what I did. I brought my ph back up and dropped some aquarium salt. With in a day or so the sore looked like scabs and fuzziness was minimal, about a week later they healed up. This is just my experience, your situation could be different than mine.

PP_GBR
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
D

Do not transfer them back to the main tank until you sort out your problem. Keep your eyes on the ones in the main tank if you still have your other discus in there. Can you handle daily wc for both tanks?

dennis09x
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
I can handle both wc. I noted after the second day of treatment in my quarantine that the spots had actually lost all the fungus look and the fish were actually acting normal again. So this is day 6, I'll do another day of medication and keep them quarantined for a few more days for observation. The other 5 in the main tank don't seem to have any issue at all. A couple actually paired off and laid eggs while the other three were in qt!

dennis09x
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Well here is what happened to. My ph dropped and my discus looked fuzzy and their skin had a lot of open sores, here is what I did. I brought my ph back up and dropped some aquarium salt. With in a day or so the sore looked like scabs and fuzziness was minimal, about a week later they healed up. This is just my experience, your situation could be different than mine.

That's part of what happened in my other thread, except the ph was stable and the salt didnt work. I ended up using furan 2 as I thought it was a fin rot issue, but in retrospect, it didnt work and I maybe should have tried the metro instead. I ended up losing that guy unfortunately. He presented with white spots that turned into open sores, but not near lateral lines or head so it was confusing.

PP_GBR
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Do not mix them up with the breeder pairs. You know what to do next time.

blueluv
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Dennis, you seem to be on the right track. Keep up the good work

pilla
04-28-2013, 10:22 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

About a month back I was moving fish between tanks and it scrapped against something.
Initially it was a small scar but lately it's very visible. Now it's about 1/4 inc. Looks like an open wound now.

2. Symptoms
No specific beaviour symptoms. Eats well. Moves well. Fights with other fish. Wound is about 1/4 inch. It did not start that big.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
No medications used. I don't have a quarintine tank.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

3 month old tank. 125g
9 month old tank, 150 gallon
7 adult discus, 14 tetras, 4 cories, few cherry shrimp.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Sand. WC - Once in 5 days. straight tap water w conditioner added, no aging.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___84__

- ph ____7.2_

- ammonia reading ___ don't know
- nitrite reading __don't know

- nitrate reading _don't know
- well water ____Tap Water

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No

Second Hand Pat
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Pilla, I would strongly suggest creating your own thread so your problem can be focused on and addressed and leave this thread to the OPs problem and resolution.
Pat

PP_GBR
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Pilla

Dennis does not sign on offen. If he sees your fish, I'm sure he could help you out. Just hang in there.

blueluv
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Also try to purchase a test kit. That way you can test your water and more or less, pinpoint were your problem is. You have no reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.