PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question about a tank upgrade

DiscusJimmy
04-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm still new to this site and learning the ropes on keeping discus; it's a steep learning curve!

I have a healthy BB 55G tank at the moment with 3 x 15- 20cm discus 20 cardinals and 2 corrys. In the very near future I want to upgrade the tank to a 75 - 80 G and sell the 55.

I am looking at getting 4 new adult discus from the same supplier. How can I go about quarantining the new fish? Then putting the whole display tank together? I do have an additional 30l "hospital tank" at my disposal which is constantly up and running.

troysdiiscus
04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Welcome Jimmy...What I would do is go ahead and get your new tank set it up like you want, use the filters from the 55 and put them right in the new tank, as the 55 is empty, go ahead and get your adult discus and QT in the 55 and when QT is over then you can sell it or keep it for future fish!!!! lol
How long has the 55 been running with the discus in it? What type of filteration are you using??

YSS
04-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I would buy the new tank, set it up, cycle or seed the new tank, get the new fish, QT the new fish in the new tank, and when the QT is over move everything from 55 to the new tank. That's just me. :)

DiscusJimmy
04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Cheers for the replies,

55 has been running now for a year, with the 3 discus in it for about 5 months. Filtration is TetraTec 1200 canister running through Vectron 12W UV sterilizer.

That was my thinking too but don't really want to get another filter if I can help it while QT the new fish. Could I get away with a reasonably cheap internal sponge filter?

troysdiiscus
04-19-2013, 12:29 PM
I know some people just use air stones and heater BUT they do a large 100%+ WC everyday til QT is over. If you buy from some sponsors on here (not sure about your source) they will have already seeded filter sponges to use.

YSS
04-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Cheers for the replies,

55 has been running now for a year, with the 3 discus in it for about 5 months. Filtration is TetraTec 1200 canister running through Vectron 12W UV sterilizer.

That was my thinking too but don't really want to get another filter if I can help it while QT the new fish. Could I get away with a reasonably cheap internal sponge filter?

It's always a good idea to have a back up filter.

DiscusJimmy
04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Cheers for the advise guys,

I am a little limited with my suppliers as I am living in southern Spain. Not sure if anyone on SD will export fish that far

Good post on the back-up filter and I'll as about seeded sponges but I really doubt if they are that advanced!