View Full Version : how is this good for the fish

barkmanusd
04-21-2013, 07:48 AM
I constantly see great discus breeders with pics of 100% water changes and their fish lying on the bottom of the tanks.....seemingly without water. I'm not challenging this because I've seen it from the best of the best discus breeders...but I wonder..how is this good for the fish?

DiscusLoverJeff
04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
They are not in that position long enough to be effected by it.

Kal-El
04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
For me they lay at the bottom of the tank for no longer than a 30sec-1min before I put back new age water back in the tank... My fish are use to it and doesn't flop around going crazy or stress out. They learn to just wait until water is backup... What's good for the fish is the clean 100% water they get after every WC. That's key to keeping them healthy and growing for young juvie.

John_Nicholson
04-21-2013, 08:46 AM
This has been posted and beat to death before. In my opinion it is perfectly fine. The proof is in the pudding. The biggest problem is 99% of the people n this country have no clue what it takes to raise any kind of live stock....and yes at that level fish are live stock.

-john

cjr8420
04-21-2013, 09:48 AM
do a 1/4 dose of meth blue right b4 a WC and then see how many WCs it takes to fully remove any blue color.meth blue gives u a visual on the crap in the tank u normally cant see and how much will still be in there after a less than 100% WC.try this experiment u will be surprised how long the water can stay blue.then u will understand how much crap is still left in the tank after ur WCs.

barkmanusd
04-22-2013, 12:46 PM
This has been posted and beat to death before. In my opinion it is perfectly fine. The proof is in the pudding. The biggest problem is 99% of the people n this country have no clue what it takes to raise any kind of live stock....and yes at that level fish are live stock.

-john

Wasn't tryiing to beat it anymore (so to speak :o) If the biggest problem is we, 99%, don't know enough about livestock, I'm surprised you seem 'taken back' by my trying to learn more about it.... I was simply asking a question to become better informed.

John_Nicholson
04-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Not taken part at all. It is just this particular link almost always ends up in a argument and I have grown tired of it. No disrespect to you at all. Just trying to nip this in the bud so to speak.

-john

troysdiiscus
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Agree with John, Mike and the man of steel. The thing is Discus, as you will find out, are alot different. As most of us who kept OTHER type of fish, this is not the norm. Things that dont change is water changes, even with the other type of fish, you still do WC but not like the Discus,. So what I did and you will have to do is forget all you know about keeping other fish, because they will not be the same as Discus.

barkmanusd
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Not taken part at all. It is just this particular link almost always ends up in a argument and I have grown tired of it. No disrespect to you at all. Just trying to nip this in the bud so to speak.

-john

No problem John. i cetainly wasn't trying to start an argument. I agree some of the back and forth online gets old...but I always try and remind myself what's 'old' for me may be a first time read for someone else.
This site does a really good job of helping hobbyist (at all levels). I've learned a lot from your posts - don't let the possibility of something going sour make you jaded. Your help is far worth the frustrations.
Thanks!

John_Nicholson
04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
No problem John. i cetainly wasn't trying to start an argument. I agree some of the back and forth online gets old...but I always try and remind myself what's 'old' for me may be a first time read for someone else.
This site does a really good job of helping hobbyist (at all levels). I've learned a lot from your posts - don't let the possibility of something going sour make you jaded. Your help is far worth the frustrations.
Thanks!

Thanks.

-john