PDA

View Full Version : Something is wrong with my Angelfish...

MarkNJD
04-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Noticed last night that one of my older Angelfish is "darting" and "twitching". Today the other older Angelfish started the same thing. They are also swimming next to the glass touching it with their mouths. They are not gasping for air at the top of the tank. All other fish in the tank seem normal. (2 cory cats, 6 neons, 2 danios, 2 small koi angels-new)
I just did a 75% water change in my 30 gallon tank.
The tank is into it's 3rd week of being cycled.
pH-7.6 (tap water-declor)
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia)- .75ppm
NO2 (Nitrites)- 2.0ppm

These are the water conditions minutes after a 75% water change. I don't understand why the Ammonia and Nitrites are so high.
I've read that the "Darting" could be caused by pH shock, but this is the pH they have been living in for 2 years.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

PP_GBR
04-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Mark

Did you mean they were pecking at the glass? Pix please.

MarkNJD
04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Mark

Did you mean they were pecking at the glass? Pix please.

No, they aren't pecking at the glass. They are sick. The one is sitting at the bottom now not moving and the other is still darting and twitching.
Pics on the way.

MarkNJD
04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/MarkNJD15/Fish/th_4-22-13063.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/MarkNJD15/media/Fish/4-22-13063.jpg.html)
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/MarkNJD15/Fish/th_4-22-13062.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/MarkNJD15/media/Fish/4-22-13062.jpg.html)
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/MarkNJD15/Fish/th_4-22-13060.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/MarkNJD15/media/Fish/4-22-13060.jpg.html)
http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/MarkNJD15/Fish/th_4-22-13051.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/MarkNJD15/media/Fish/4-22-13051.jpg.html)

CrazyAngels
04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
They are in an un-cycled tank???? if the tank is just going through the cycle, it can potentially kill your stock. if you have a cycled sponge or HOB that you can use, then you need to act quickly and get it moved to this tank. Or move your stock into a cycled tank until you can get this one cycled. Good luck.

Skip
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
.75 ammonia.. very bad

MarkNJD
04-22-2013, 05:05 PM
They are in an un-cycled tank???? if the tank is just going through the cycle, it can potentially kill your stock. if you have a cycled sponge or HOB that you can use, then you need to act quickly and get it moved to this tank. Or move your stock into a cycled tank until you can get this one cycled. Good luck.

I know it's not good to do what I did, but I had to. My other tank broke and it was only a 10 gallon. I had them in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days while I set this 30 gallon up and let the cycle begin. I was forced to put them in an uncycled tank or they would of been dead by now anyways. They have been in this tank for 2 1/2 weeks. I do water changes everyday, 50% or more.

Skip
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I do water changes everyday, 50% or more.

do 75%

Ryan
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Mark, the tank that broke had a filter on it, right? Did you move the filter from the broken tank over to the new 30 gallon? If you had cycled filter media in the other tank it should be handling the ammonia/nitrite in the new tank. It appears that isn't the case.

You said you were using dechlor. What brand, and how much? Something like Prime should at least be detoxifying the ammonia and nitrite to keep them from harming your fish. To my knowledge, test kits will still give you a positive reading even if you've neutralized the ammonia/nitrite with Prime. You can double the dose of Prime without it having a negative effect on the fish so I'd do that just to be safe. Do 75% daily water changes and add a double-dose of Prime each time.

If you have any other tanks in the house with cycled filters, take some filter media (floss, sponge, whatever) from the cycled filter and put it in the filter on the 30.

BODYDUB
04-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I'd do a huge water change and get a bottle of safe start............

MarkNJD
04-23-2013, 01:24 AM
Mark, the tank that broke had a filter on it, right? Did you move the filter from the broken tank over to the new 30 gallon? If you had cycled filter media in the other tank it should be handling the ammonia/nitrite in the new tank. It appears that isn't the case.

You said you were using dechlor. What brand, and how much? Something like Prime should at least be detoxifying the ammonia and nitrite to keep them from harming your fish. To my knowledge, test kits will still give you a positive reading even if you've neutralized the ammonia/nitrite with Prime. You can double the dose of Prime without it having a negative effect on the fish so I'd do that just to be safe. Do 75% daily water changes and add a double-dose of Prime each time.

If you have any other tanks in the house with cycled filters, take some filter media (floss, sponge, whatever) from the cycled filter and put it in the filter on the 30.

There are 2 other cycled tanks in the house. I'll get some filter media out now. I should of thought about that before.......*face palm*. I trashed the other filter media from the 10 gallon tank...
I did a test on the delcor water in the bucket it read .5 ppm of ammonia. I use Aqueon Water Conditioner 10-15 ml each time I do a W/C. I'll get some Prime tomorrow. Thanks!

I'd do a huge water change and get a bottle of safe start............

Will do, thanks!

do 75%

Roger that ;)

CrazyAngels
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
MarkNJD, how are the angels doing. Where you able to get them back on track??

MarkNJD
04-28-2013, 02:32 AM
MarkNJD, how are the angels doing. Where you able to get them back on track??

Thank you for your concern.
All 4 died.
It wasn't due to water conditions.
The tank has Nitrates in it now so the cycle is going good.
My old angelfish were in worse water conditions at one point from what I listed above and survived.
I think the new kois I bought from the LFS the other day gave my old angelfish a disease. I didn't quarantine.
Lesson learned.
It's funny how when I buy from Petsmart I never have problems not quarantining the new fish, but when I buy from a LFS it's always the same outcome.
Anyways, I'm down to a few little fish in the 30 gallon and I'm waiting for the cycle to complete until I buy anything else.
Probably gonna order a few Paraiba Angelfish, Pinoy Angelfish and or Philippine Blue Platinum Angelfish.
I bought another 10 gallon to use as a quarantine tank for small fish. It's being cycled as we speak.
I also found out by testing my water almost everyday that my pH is unstable out of the tap. I have to figure out a way to store water/age it over night. Probably just have to plan ahead and use (4) 5 gallon buckets the day before I plan on doing a water change.

CrazyAngels
04-28-2013, 03:04 AM
I'm so sorry on the loss of your angels.

Sounds like you are looking for some in the future, let me know if you need recommendations on any of the blues. I'm working with them now and happen to be the first in my area with them, so I'm sure the local market will surely like them as much as I do.

I have a nice 400-500 wiggler spawn from blue marble x marble paraiba in the jar as I speak, hope to free swim in about 4 days.

I also stole 2 more spawns tonight and in got them in a hatching jar. One is from a beautiful Phil Blue high glitter veil pair, the other from a phil blue ghost veil x pinoy paraiba.

I hope with the new rearing jars i picked up that my chances of getting the spawns to free swim increase. I'm having to artificially raise them cause all 6 pairs I have, will not parent raise. they make it to wigglers then eat them..

Anyway, do let me know if there is something i can help with.

MarkNJD
04-28-2013, 03:12 AM

Sounds like you are looking for some in the future, let me know if you need recommendations on any of the blues. I'm working with them now and happen to be the first in my area with them, so I'm sure the local market will surely like them as much as I do.

I have a nice 400-500 wiggler spawn from blue marble x marble paraiba in the jar as I speak, hope to free swim in about 4 days.

I also stole 2 more spawns tonight and in got them in a hatching jar. One is from a beautiful Phil Blue high glitter veil pair, the other from a phil blue ghost veil x pinoy paraiba.

I hope with the new rearing jars i picked up that my chances of getting the spawns to free swim increase. I'm having to artificially raise them cause all 6 pairs I have, will not parent raise. they make it to wigglers then eat them..

I was just reading another thread about Angelfish on here and you talked about a person named Carol. You also said she lives in Port Saint Lucie Florida, that happens to be where I live, hahaha
I will keep you in mind, but I think I'm gonna contact Carol sometime in the near future and see what she has since it is so close.
Thanks

CrazyAngels
04-28-2013, 03:21 AM
I have an entire stock from her and they are the best. She is awesome and all her angels are great quality. Let me know if you need contact info.

1598jsjoey
07-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Do you still have fish available? Let me know.

timmylucas
07-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry for your loss! Always a bummer. But lesson learned! Looking forward to seeing your new angelfish when you get them!

camuth8
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Sorry for your loss! Always a bummer. But lesson learned! Looking forward to seeing your new angelfish when you get them!

+1
New fish are always an excitement, but having old fishing dying is certainly depressing.:(

SnapshotAquarist
01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
You had 4 angels in a 30 gallon. I'm sorry but you were asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)