PDA

View Full Version : First timer!!

Moonboy2212
04-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Hellos everyone!!! I have a 55 gallon tank I don't know the dimensions as its been over 2 years since I bought the tank. My best guess is that it's 40 by 12 by 18. I know it's decently tall pretty long but doesn't have much depth. I have used it as a planted tank for some small tropical fish then changed it to a cichlids tank. I recently moved so I couldn't take the fish so I thought I'd try something knew and a little bit harder. I've done all kinds of freshwater tanks and have been doing it for about 6 years. I've done literally all kinds of freshwater but discus. I will be in the process of purchasing some t5 lights and already have a classic Ehiem canister filter, A heater and water pump for circulation. I understand the water has to be slightly acidic between a ph of 6-7. The water also has to be fairly warm at about 84-86 degrees Fahrenheit. I am also aware what tank mates are allowed and which ones aren't. Since I shall be a beginner with the discus fish I was thinking about starting with 3-5 of them.

Any other advice or corrections to what I have ready stated would be greatly appreciated.

rbarn
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
water doesnt need to be any particular ph or hardness as long as it is consistent.
Warmer water 88-90* F
Get 5 or 2 - not 3 - i would go with a nice pair for that size tank with lots of community fish

personally I'm a big fan of pH stabilization with Co2 injection and a good controller.

DiscusBR
04-22-2013, 10:40 AM
If your tank has those measurements, it is a 36 gallons tank, not a 55g. It is too small for adult discus and the depth is not enough. You need a much bigger tank, preferably bigger than a 55g. Discus are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5 (7 would be better). Since you need 10g per adult discus, I would recommend at least a 65g tank. As stated, no need to worry about ph and hardness. Just keep water parameters constant with a lot of water changes. Also, no need to have very warm water. Most people here keep their discus around 82F - 84F. I would not recommend starting with a planted tank or a tank with CO2. Read the stickers in the beginners section to get more information on how to set the first discus tank.

Moonboy2212
04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Okay well I've spoken to an expert on discus he has a master degree in tropical fish and has his own store and on every website I'm finding that they need acidic water, the water must be soft and it must be constant for premium conditions. The tank is absolutely a 55 gallon tank but like I said I am in aware of the measurement. It's a pretty tall and very long tank but the depth( front to back) isn't that large. I was considering a 5 discus for with maybe 6 cardinal or 4 Corydoras.

Moonboy2212
04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
The dimensions for the tank are: 48-7/16"L x 12-7/8"W x20-13/16"H.

Red Turk
04-23-2013, 12:08 AM
If you have spoken to this 'Expert' and you have everything under control then why ask the question ??
pretty clear you never intended to take any advice in the first place.

Good luck

DiscusBR
04-23-2013, 12:21 AM
It is amazing how often LFS owners lack knowledge. I don't want to generalize, but they often give the same advice I got when I kept (and killed) a few discus 20 years ago. Stuff like discus "need" acid and soft water. I guess it is a way to sell a lot tests, chemicals, buffers, while at the same time showing "expertise".

Moonboy2212
04-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I've spoken to the expert because that's how he makes his money. I'm not saying. He is the best at what he does not is he the worst. When I try and find out about something especially with aquariums I try and find out as much as I can. So I'm just trying to get your opinion and how you came or why you stick to your opinion. It was not my intention to offend anyone but I'm not gonna take the word of just one individual. In regards to what the water should be like (ph, gh, and temp) I'm trying to make the most natural aquarium I possibly can. So when you think of their origin and the water they come from it is acidic, soft and pretty warm. Just because they survive in other water conditions doesn't mean it's the best environment for them and the same goes with the water that's as natural as possible especially considering the fact that some discus could be wild or raised. I'm trying to find what has work best and have multiple people coming to the same conclusion.

My intention is not to offend anyone or try and be an *** on this forum I came here for advice but in the end it's up to me on what advice I take. I think about this issue which was similar to one that I had on another forum in regards to saltwater filtration. I had people swearing buy filters that would be used on freshwater tanks, HOB filters, canister filters and bio wheel filters. All of which are bad for saltwater tanks but can be used on smaller tanks with lots of water changes. The more I kept argueing the more I would find out but so would the other individuals. Also other people would come to the post and explain that for saltwater tanks it is better to have a sump, skimmer, or refugium.

Red Turk
04-24-2013, 12:15 AM
I am in no way suggesting you are wrong. It is a fact that Discus love warmer water temps and Soft Water. No one will ever question that.

Show me a tank raised domestic strain that remembers the PH level of its natural habitat ?? Nope...
Same goes with Tannins.. the amount of people that said you MUST have Tannins in your water to have healthy Discus blew me away.. Do you think Domestics have any understanding of Tannins.. haha Nope..

Wild's are different. No doubt

Once again I'm not implying you are incorrect but I think people get a bit carried away with getting their PH 'spot on' <--- probably get shot down for that comment.
I must say about 10 years ago I spent an awful lot of time on my PH .. now I don't .. I still age water and WC religiously but I don't freak out if my PH is out a level or two like I used to :) :)

DiscusBR
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
You did not offend anyone, you just seemed to take the advice from your "expert" for granted. This forum is the best source one can have about discus keeping. Keep reading and use the advanced search tool. You will find the information you need.

Now, about this specific topic:

In regards to what the water should be like (ph, gh, and temp) I'm trying to make the most natural aquarium I possibly can. So when you think of their origin and the water they come from it is acidic, soft and pretty warm. Just because they survive in other water conditions doesn't mean it's the best environment for them and the same goes with the water that's as natural as possible especially considering the fact that some discus could be wild or raised. I'm trying to find what has work best and have multiple people coming to the same conclusion.

The notion of a "natural aquarium" is problematic. As Red Turk said, a lot of best domestic discus around were not born and raised in soft and acid water. Even in the case of wilds, people have been very succesful in keeping them in relatively alkaline and hard water. You need to worry with ph and hardness only if you want to breed. As the most experienced people here in the forum will tell you, a stable ph is more important than an acid ph. This means you should not "fight" with the ph of you tap water, adding a lot of chemicals and buffers to get to some magic number. If you want the best conditions for your discus, do a lot of water changes. This is far more important than achieving some "natural" ph.

Chad Hughes
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Moonboy,

There isn't a degree in the world that will prepare you for keeping discus and I've never hear of a Master's in tropical fish. Is this person an ichthyologist maybe? I'm glad to hear that you are seeking out information but you have to keep your ears open. I'll assume that you've come to this site to learn and excellent information on keeping discus successfully is being given. I advise you to listen up! :)

Depending on the type of discus that you keep, your water may or may not need to be acidic. Wilds are typically kept in acidic conditions. DOMESTICS are not. Domestic discus are raised in tap water and most don't even know what acidic water is. Your friend is likely referencing literature from the 70's.

Anyway, read and learn. All we do here is keep discus, so I'd be leaning towards listening to some of the folks here first.

Good luck!

Okay well I've spoken to an expert on discus he has a master degree in tropical fish and has his own store and on every website I'm finding that they need acidic water, the water must be soft and it must be constant for premium conditions. The tank is absolutely a 55 gallon tank but like I said I am in aware of the measurement. It's a pretty tall and very long tank but the depth( front to back) isn't that large. I was considering a 5 discus for with maybe 6 cardinal or 4 Corydoras.

strawberryblonde
04-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi Moonboy and welcome to the forums.

A 55 gallon tank can work with discus, depending on what you're looking to do with them. If you purchase adult discus who are only 5.5" - 6" then they'll fit in there just fine. But beware, if you buy sub-adults or juvies, especially from one of our sponsors here on the forums, your discus may well reach 8" - 9" with proper water changes and feedings. If that happens, they won't fit into the tank anymore.

I like using a 55 gallon as a grow-out tank. I then move them to my larger display tank once they all reach 5-6".

Ok, so now here's my personal experiences with how to raise, care for and keep discus alive...ready? =)

1) Domestic discus don't require a specific pH range. They were bred and raised in average pH waters and will adapt easily to you pH. Mine are kept in a pH well over 8.0 in the spring and, at its lowest 7.8 in the winter.

2) The MOST important parts of keeping discus are clean water and quality high protein foods. I can't stress that one enough. They are super sensitive to nitrates and other tank pollutants...so fresh water is a must.

3) Lighting isn't important. Buy something inexpensive that brings out the shadings and hues of your discus. I personally like LED lighting and use just one SMALL Marineland LED strip on my 55 grow out tank.

4) Do yourself and your discus a favor and start out with a light sand substrate and some decorative driftwood pieces that will allow you to easily clean things up. Add more "stuff" later on once you get the hang of discus keeping.

5) Temps between 82F - 84F are fine for most domestic discus. Some people like to raise it higher, but higher temps require more oxygen and allow some pathogens (and all tanks have them) to multiply much faster. I prefer 84F for juvies and sub-adults and 82F for adults.

6) Water Changes - Fill a bucket, then aerate it for 24 hours. Check the pH of the aerated bucket, then check the pH of your water straight out of the tap. If you see a pH shift you'll want to age your water for water changes. You can find info on how to do that in other sections of the forums.

7) How often to change water: For juvies plan to do at least one 90% WC per day. For Sub-Adults plan to do at least one 80% WC per day. For Adults, plan to do at least 2 LARGE WC's per week.

8) Foods: Discus thrive on high protein foods, but also require vitamins and minerals just like any other fish. Soooo, frozen beefheart mixes, freeze dried blackworms or bloodworms, high quality discus flake food and discus pellets are all great choices. Plan to feed a variety of them. For juvies that would be 6 - 7 meals per day. For sub-adults plan on 5-6 meals per day. For adults, 2-3 meals per day is fine.

9) Since you're going to be feeding some foods that will foul water AND filters very quickly, purchase a pre-filter sponge for your canister filter. Clean the pre-filter daily to remove any bits of food it collects.

10) Canister filter media can be ceramic rings, porous sponge, etc in each tray. You don't need carbon.

That's it for now. I'll add more stuff if you have questions, ok?

Moonboy2212
04-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Okay well those are answer I'm looking for with proper reasoning and explanation behind them. I don't mean to be rude but I like to be 100% certain when it comes to my fish tanks and how they are set up especially with fish I have never kept before.

In regards to this expert that I was speaking to, yes he does have a degree, the way he explained it was its like a marine biology but he studied the common tropical environment specifically all the animals within the rivers and lakes. So he knows reptile, amphibians and fish. Those animals also happen to be what he sells. Now just because he got a degree doesn't mean he is spot on with all his information. So in order to check his info and find out more, I did some of my own research which led me to this forum. This is my first time on a forum so I'm still figuring it out.