PDA

View Full Version : Discus color development

prem
04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Hi all
I am new to parenting discus. I love them more and more by the day. I have a few doubts that i need to clarify. I'm sure the gurus here can help me out. :-)

I have a two inch discus which looks pale white and turns maroon at times. I am not sure if it's turn to a natural color or is it the stress, because sometimes all the other fish are looking the same and this guy either turn pale white or red! Is it is it stress?
about the same guy and his batch. While the above is happening they get this black dots which actually brings out their un pretty look. I read a few articles and found out its peppering. This also happens randomly.

I do water changes once a day. Between 50-60% the tank is resting on Styrofoam - base is bare bottom.

Please advice the cause of the behaviour am I doing something wrong?

troysdiiscus
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the forum prem. Sounds like you have some pigeon bloods, they will pepper when sub is dark and the enviroment is dark, alot though has to do with genetics but a clean light color is best for them. Juvies will not start showing there colors till they start growing into adults, stress will make them change. May want to fill out questionaire to get more information. Small Juvies in a grow out need alot of WC and feeding..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Discus Ranz
04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree with troysdiiscus. They also change colors when feeding and working out their differences in the pecking order as well.

~Ranz~

prem
04-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys,
I have attached an image of the guy i am referring to...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HM7LWKTa74k/UXYaT1v4gLI/AAAAAAAAGAs/qBEwyE0Qoeo/s545/20130421_185437_LLS.jpg
my cousin is saying that is a red melon, a little lost :)
anyways I feed them 3 times a day and water change once a day 50% - 55%
I hope i am doing it right, at what size are they considered adults? just curious.
Thanks.
:)

Discus Ranz
04-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Usually when they move out and get a job.
Nice fish you have there. What do you feed them?

To answer your question, I'm sure some of the pro-breeders have a more logical answer. I'm not sure still if its based on size, age, or when they start breeding.

Ranz

troysdiiscus
04-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Normally consider an adult from 5 to 5.5 inch up. Your cousin is correct, its a red melon. They can change colors for several reasons feeding, stress poor water conditions and when they are sick (last two or normally very dark, dont want that) Not sure how long the person had them so dont know the age but IMO I think if they are 3 inches they should develop at a .5 to maybe an inch in month and a half or so. That will only happen with a great diet and great water conditions. Good luck growing out.. The peppering may or may not go away or may not be so apparent, time will tell....:thumbsup:

Larry Bugg
04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Size can only be used to determine if a discus is an adult if it is actually 5" to 6" or larger. A discus can be 2 1/2" and be an adult. A discus that is not properly cared for may never get larger than 2 12 to 3 1/2" but will reach full sexual maturity at the same age a 6" will. Age is the determining factor in maturity of discus. At 9 to 10 months a discus would be considered a young adult and at 1 to 1 1/2 years old the discus should reach full maturity.

Gene
04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I wish mine would move out and get a job lol

Discus Ranz
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM

LOL

discus6628
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Soon it will, when it start hatching :)

prem
04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tips guys... :) as troysdiiscus said i think time can only tell :)