PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart Seafood Mix ?

Kal-El
04-22-2013, 11:40 PM
I made my second batch of Beef Heart seafood mix a few days ago. This time I put a little too much salmon and shrimp and now I notice it makes my tank smell fishy and not earthy dirt smell. Should I worry and is it OK to keep feeding this mix twice a day? Have any of you have this issue with your seafood mix? I feed this mix once in the morning than 25% WC and once at night right before 100% WC. Since I've notice the smell I have also started to turn of my filter during the beef heart feeding and turn it back on only after they have eaten all of the mix. Should I just feed this mix once a day instead? BTW, my first loves the mix and eats everything. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

a volar
04-23-2013, 03:40 AM
What was the mix ratio on the batch?
I have never use salmon; my main ingredients are beef heart and shrimp in about equal amounts

Kal-El
04-23-2013, 07:21 AM
50% Beef Heart and 40% salmon and the other 10% are shrimp and other ingredient. I know the smell is from the salmon. I've read where folks make their seafood mix with no beef heart and only tuna, salmon, shrimp, and other things. For those folk I wonder if their mix would make the water smell a little. The smell in my tank is not strong but you can smell it from the water.

a volar
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes, the smell has to be from the salmon, Some people use cod.

Poco
04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I use 60% beefheart and 40% wild salmon ratio and don't have any smell issues. Did you add garlic to the mix?

Babar

Kal-El
04-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I use 60% beefheart and 40% wild salmon ratio and don't have any smell issues. Did you add garlic to the mix?

Babar

No garlic as my guys won't touch it if garlic is in the mix.

MaiaDee
04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
I use cod and shrimp with my beefheart mix. I have noticed a fish smell on occasion, but figured it was cuz they were fish :) It never occurred to me it could be from the food. hmmmm

Kal-El
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
I notice the smell was strong in the AC110 filter so I clean it and now it smells normal. I'm going to feed the mix with the AC110 off and once they are done WC and turn filter back on after new water has been added.

Poco
04-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I notice the smell was strong in the AC110 filter so I clean it and now it smells normal. I'm going to feed the mix with the AC110 off and once they are done WC and turn filter back on after new water has been added.

Do you have a pre-filter on it?

Kal-El
04-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Do you have a pre-filter on it?

Yes... Even the smaller fine partial is collect in the filter.

Poco
04-23-2013, 11:22 PM
I dont touch my AC110 for 6 weeks (sometimes even longer) and never had the smell problem. My mix does have wild salmon and shrimps. I do turn off my sponge for 10-15mins while feeding. How often do you clean your HOB?

Kal-El
04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I dont touch my AC110 for 6 weeks (sometimes even longer) and never had the smell problem. My mix does have wild salmon and shrimps. I do turn off my sponge for 10-15mins while feeding. How often do you clean your HOB?

I clean my AC110 once a month or sometimes 4-5 weeks. I normally don't turn my filter off when I feed my mix, but now with this new mix i just started to turn it off during feeding and turn it back on after WC 30 min window.

sandy
04-24-2013, 12:38 AM
But why you turn off your filter when pre-filter attached to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kal-El
05-04-2013, 12:31 AM
But why you turn off your filter when pre-filter attached to it?

I turn it off because the pre-filter doesn't catch the fine left over beef/salmon particle. So far no more smell after doing this.

sandy
05-04-2013, 02:36 AM
I turn it off because the pre-filter doesn't catch the fine left over beef/salmon particle. So far no more smell after doing this.

This means your grinding very fine don't grind more as it will foul the water

Kal-El
05-04-2013, 06:47 PM
This means your grinding very fine don't grind more as it will foul the water

The smell is only the salmon. I made a new batch with less salmon and it's fine now and it doesn't have the fishy smell like that last batch that I made.

sandy
05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
The smell is only the salmon. I made a new batch with less salmon and it's fine now and it doesn't have the fishy smell like that last batch that I made.

Good for your fishes

Keith Perkins
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I overdid the garlic once and we craved Italian every time I fed the fish. I don't think my batches of heart have ever been exactly the same twice, the fish smell probably isn't a big deal.