PDA

View Full Version : Pair with 4 day old free swimmers wants to lay again?

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Hello again guys! :)
The pair from my previous post is showing sings of mating again, mostly the female, i see that her belly is a bit fat like she usually gets when she is about to lay. She is cleaning the cone and her "ovopositor" is already out. She is vibrating like crazy around the male who looks like is getting interested again.

I'm confused.

Skip
04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
it happens..

Chad Hughes
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd pull her if you ant the first spawn to survive.

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
And in that case should i take any special care? Are the free swimmers or the posible new eggs in danger?

Skip
04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
And in that case should i take any special care? Are the free swimmers or the posible new eggs in danger?

they will probably eat the free swimmners.. and care for the eggs.. thats what chad is telling you..

do you have baby brine shrimp. are you ready to care for discus fry?

rdiscus
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
small first batch, not too many fry ... that's why they try again for better, larger batch :)

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Ok, that scares me a bit i still don't have a good cycled tank for her.

They are in a 50 gal tank, maybe i could separate them with wire mesh?

Or if i had to pull someone id prefer to pull the fry better, im afraid to stress the pair

I do have BBS and a smal tank for the fry but they are only 4 day old and they still haven't eat BBS.

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
small first batch, not too many fry ... that's why they try again for better, larger batch :)

That is right the first batch is of 20-30 fry.

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Should i start taking action right now or should i wait for the first egg to be laid to be sure?

Skip
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Should i start taking action right now or should i wait for the first egg to be laid to be sure?

RELAX!!!

it don't matter what happens to the Fry.. they will make more.. its ok.. just let them do their thing.. UNTIL you are ready to care for them properly..

Chad Hughes
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
I'd be more concerned for the fry than the pair. The fry are FAR more fragile than an adult pair. The fry will need a parent for about two weeks.

If you want to raise the first spawn, pull the female and let the male raise the spawn. FYI there is no guarantee that this father will actually raise them but it's worth a shot.

If you want to let them try again, let things go. They'll lay eggs and likely eat the first spawn.

You can split your breeding tank in half to seperate the parents.

Get the BBS ready. They should be ready to take it around day 12 from the date they laid the eggs.

John_Nicholson
04-23-2013, 11:28 AM
First the balance of the discus world does not rest on this spawn being successful. Second, most discus fry can start eating fresh hatched BBS the day they go free swimming. Third the female will probably lay eggs again. Her hormones have been geared up to lay eggs every week. That does not just shut off sometimes. Forth, if you are changing water like you should you don't have to worry that much about a cycled tank.

Personally I would do nothing, but if you feel that you have to then pull the fry and start hitting them heavy with BBS. Remember you will really have to work to keep the water clean.

Good luck.

-john

rdiscus
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
if you can divide the tank by poret foam, then you're ok to have both batch

Wait for female lays egg and the male does his thing ... then you divide the tank, one side have egg with one parent, the fry with other parent on the other side ... so You can keep them all

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok, they are making try runs already.
Is there a chance that they could take care of the eggs AND the fry at the same time?

I have a tank ready for the fry and a BBS production going with some hatched BBS already. I just want to pull them as last resource

John_Nicholson
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
I do not know how many pairs I have had though the years but quite a few. In all of those I have had 1 pair that would do that. All of the rest would eat the free swimming fry.

-john

JuanJo
04-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I do not know how many pairs I have had though the years but quite a few. In all of those I have had 1 pair that would do that. All of the rest would eat the free swimming fry.

-john

My plan is to see carefully what happens and the second i see they are gonna eat the fry Im prepared to pull them out to a new tank and raise them artificially.
I hope my pair might be a lucky one like yours

Skip
04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Jus work with one set.. ur not a Malaysian discus farm.. why stress about it

Cambik
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Jus work with one set.. ur not a Malaysian discus farm.. why stress about it

+1

JuanJo
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey guys!
Greetings again!
I took both batches, given the effort that it takes to find discus in my country, the learning oportunity that it represented and the idea of giving up on the life of my first batch pushed me to pull them. I managed to pull out 16 before they disapeared in the tank. They were moved to a 5gal tank to be raised with BBS. They are eating well and growing every time i see them, amazing how you can literally see them grow :)
My intention is not to be a massive production asian farm but i love my discus.

CrazyAngels
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
JuanJo, I'm gladd to see you pulled them and are giving it a go. Congrats and keep it up, let us know how they are coming along and when you get a chance to take some pictures, please share with us.