PDA

View Full Version : Discus or Not

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Admins can delete the other thread, also I cut down on what I wrote a lot so any confusion please let me know.

This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank setup.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hey everyone my name is Tony (Not important but who cares lol), I have been fishkeeping probably since 10 and now Im 18. I mainly dealt with freshwater which consisted of parrot cichlids, gars, knifefish, barbs, tetras and even stingrays. Recently I has a saltwater tank set up for 2 years but I decided to come back to freshwater. I'm currently working with orange head geos as I think they look amazing when they are large and will look great in my future tank upgrade of over 180 gallons.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

I have no experience with discus whats so ever however I have done heavy research through out my fish keeping career. I would get in the urge of keeping discus then eventually dropping it...back and forth this happend constantly. I have viewed numerous stickies and posts that some of you may have posted....thru out my few weeks of being a stalker on here lmao!

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

I have a 72 gallon bow front tank... really hate this shape. It is a 4 foot by 15-18 inches deep and 25 inches high display tank. This tank has been up and running since the end of December.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

I will post a video (link at the end of thread) that will show how my decor is arranged, it consist of fake plants, hides, fake tree stump and sand as the substrate. Defintly trying to make it look natural without putting too much/extra work into it.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Currently Im doing a bi weekly 20% water change straight from the tap. I do plan on doing a weekly 50% water change for the discus.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

I use a sump that consist of a filter sock and 5 gallons worth of pond matrix...that sums it up lol. Also use a few korialla wave makers, jager heater and a cheap marineland led lighting system.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp _____ 80 (should be higher but have to check with geos)

- tank ph _____ 7

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____7

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10-20

- well water ____ Not sure how?

- municipal water ____ Not sure how?

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

10 orange head geos ( one inch)
5 silver dollars (1.5 inch)
2 yellow severums (2 inches, cousin got them as a gift for me)
2 rummynose tetras ( most of them went thru over flow weeks ago...however these two learned about the danger lol)
1 clown loach ( should be with others, however the others went down over flow...so this one will be going to my aunt soon)
2 gold rams (3/4 inch)
3 cory cats (3/4 inch)

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Usually feed after school around 4 and at 8....usually consist of NLS Pellets and occasionally blood worms. However I do have a flat pack of bloods and brine scrimp in sprinila (cant spell)

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

My goals is to keep discus happy and healthy. Would like my tank too look colorful as everyone who sees my tank says (why no color?) This will be a community tank...however eventual could breed with breeder tanks under my future tank upgrade (optimistic cant hurt right?).

Questions:

- Can I have discus with the following tankmates? Geos are most important too me.
-Can I start with 4-6 discus of various colors at 2.5 inches or is it too risky since im a rookie?
- Should I start off with a pair?
-Can a pair of discus live without other discus or still require a small school/shoal?
- Best diet? Here various diets....
- Growing rate of a healthy discus?
-Best Temp?
-Any tips and suggestions?

Thanks A Million! Here is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BGMbl5eTQ

GrayLadyPat
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
From a relative newbie:

Regardless of what you're keeping with your discus, I wouldn't put anything smaller than about 5" in a tank with other fish. If you want to raise them up from juvies (the size you described are considered young, or "juvie" size) then you probably want to keep them in a bare-bottom tank all by their onesies until they grow out to adulthood.

Also, the more discus the better... a lone pair will probably be more skittish and less happy than a small school. 1 discus to 10 gallons is a good ratio to start. They seem to do best in groups of 6-ish.

I keep my tank temp at about 84, and I feed them 5 or 6 times a day (small feedings) alternating bloodworms, shrimp, beefheart, and flakes.

The key is clean water. Water changes often;sometimes folks here do daily changes. I change mine 3 times a week, but they are older fish.

As far as tankmates, there is a great forum here for just such questions: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?92-Tankmates-for-Discus

Good luck to you!!!

Oh, and one last thing: When in doubt, change the water :D

Pazzoman
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks will look at the link now and thanks for the added info will keep that in mind before adding discus.

Pazzoman
04-25-2013, 06:24 PM
From a relative newbie:

Regardless of what you're keeping with your discus, I wouldn't put anything smaller than about 5" in a tank with other fish. If you want to raise them up from juvies (the size you described are considered young, or "juvie" size) then you probably want to keep them in a bare-bottom tank all by their onesies until they grow out to adulthood.

Also, the more discus the better... a lone pair will probably be more skittish and less happy than a small school. 1 discus to 10 gallons is a good ratio to start. They seem to do best in groups of 6-ish.

I keep my tank temp at about 84, and I feed them 5 or 6 times a day (small feedings) alternating bloodworms, shrimp, beefheart, and flakes.

The key is clean water. Water changes often;sometimes folks here do daily changes. I change mine 3 times a week, but they are older fish.

As far as tankmates, there is a great forum here for just such questions: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?92-Tankmates-for-Discus

Good luck to you!!!

Oh, and one last thing: When in doubt, change the water :D

Hey thanks for your help. Im look at another sponsor here and seems to sell larger size discus at a good price compared to other sponsors. The discus seem to range 3 inches and over little bigger but I know the bigger they are the hardier they are. I will probably try to aim for 6 discus... just got to figure out which colors do best off a black background and white sand (still debating on keeping it or going BB).

I will up the temp to 84 and defintly feed numerous times thru out the day. I will go and look at your tank mates page now... and yes water change is key I should be able to do three water changes a week maybe i could do more. What percent of total tank system would you say to change?

A Lol will keep that in mind, water changes always are great!

strawberryblonde
04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Water changes vary from person to person, but for me, I decided to keep up with LARGE twice a day water changes while mine were under a year old. After they reached 6" I reduced it to 90% every day, and then finally went to 90% every other day when they were 7" but only because Hans laughed and told me to! LOL

Nowadays they are 2 years old, so other than during a round of illnesses (blech), I change 80% every other day or sometimes every 3 days. If I know I'm going to have to wait 3 days, I feed less food during day 1 and 2.

If yours are about 3" when you get them they are going to grow fast for the first few months and eat a LOT of food, so plan to change water every day, otherwise the nasties will build up in the tank and discus don't like nasties. Aim for Nitrates at or below 5ppm. You can get away with 10ppm now and then, but not for long periods of time.

Pazzoman
04-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for your info so I have to aim for 5ppm nitrates, never done that before but like you said... water changes is the key. Wouldn't large and often water changes stress young discus? Or is their away that a water change should properly be done?

strawberryblonde
04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Discus actually get used to water changes very quickly and don't be surprised if they pester you the entire time you have your hands in the tank to clean it. LOL

Around these parts there are people who do 100% water changes every day. That means draining the tank down till the discus are laying flat on the bottom, then refilling it. You'd think it would freak them out, but nope, they just learn to flop over and lie still till the new water starts pouring in.

The bigger stress for discus is dirty water.

Just set yourself up for success by making the water changes as easy and quick as possible, ok? I struggled with buckets for a month, then got smart and streamlined my cleaning operation. Made ME a lot happier to be able to get in, get it done and get on with my evenings. =)

GrayLadyPat
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Discus actually get used to water changes very quickly and don't be surprised if they pester you the entire time you have your hands in the tank to clean it. LOL

Around these parts there are people who do 100% water changes every day. That means draining the tank down till the discus are laying flat on the bottom, then refilling it. You'd think it would freak them out, but nope, they just learn to flop over and lie still till the new water starts pouring in.

The bigger stress for discus is dirty water.

Just set yourself up for success by making the water changes as easy and quick as possible, ok? I struggled with buckets for a month, then got smart and streamlined my cleaning operation. Made ME a lot happier to be able to get in, get it done and get on with my evenings. =)

Yes... ease of changing water is the best way to keep it up. I siphon the tank water into a 5 gallon bucket to rinse my filters in when needed, and the rest goes out the door into my roses. I bought one of those hose couplings to put on the end of my siphon hose to connect to my garden hose for length. Next step is to add Prime to the tank for the entire volme. Then I refill using a small submersible pump in my shiney new rubbermaid 55 gallon trash can that I bought to age my water. (Yes, Josie, I am finally aging my water :D) I went with one of those little pond pumps you can get at Home Depot. I can do almost 100% change in less than an hour. It takes me that long because with a planted tank, I also trim bad leaves, move the sand around, redecorate a bit, and scrub the interior walls with white paper towels to help keep the algae down. Now, if only I could get those little BN plecs to do that for me, I'll have it made!