PDA

View Full Version : Rimless Sumped tank

siosload
04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I have decided to go for a discus tank. Unfortunately, the tank I currently have is 240 litres and wouldn't be big enough for what I want.

I have seen a second hand rimless sumped tank for sale (500 litres with a 250 litre sump). I think it could be a perfect tank for what I am looking for, which would be approx 10 discus, 100 tetras and some corys.

My basic questions are : is there any problems keeping discus in a rimless tank? I can't see them jumping but just wanted to make sure before making what could be a costly mistake! Equally I'm sure there would be no problem with a sumped tank.

Thanks a million for any help you could provide

pauline
04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
There have been a couple of occasions where my discus have gotten spooked and have crashed into the top on the tank. I don't consider them "jumpers" per se but a panic attack could land one on the floor.

CrazyAngels
04-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Indeed there have been quite a few threads over the years talking of the ones that jumped, do a search for it. Anyway plan on having some sort of a screen you can put on top for when you are not around. That is what most have done.

MKD
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
don't under estimate the king of aquarium.

Wes
04-24-2013, 05:04 PM
They jump when spooked, a one inch gap between the lid and back of the tank and had to pick one off the floor. Forgot to close a lid and picked another off the floor.

siosload
04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks a million for the feedback ... good to know before I take the plunge

I love the look of the rimless tank ... just have to make sure that I have some guard in place if I go for the tank