PDA

View Full Version : my setup to be used for discus in the next couple of months(video attached)

Almonteboy
04-28-2013, 11:42 PM
I am going to fill the refugium with plants(swords and anubias for a good nitrate ammonia removal) and probably strip the main tank down to just the wood, black gravel and a couple of swords.

http://youtu.be/WpgOZNNQTU0

blueluv
04-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Looks like a good set up. Except I would stay away from black gravel and carbon pad.

Larry Bugg
04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
What size tank is that?

Swords and anubias would not be my choice for a refugium. You want fast growing plants, something like hornwort or elodea would be at the top of my list.

Almonteboy
04-29-2013, 09:01 AM
I went with swords for there ability to tolerate discus temps. What's wrong with black gravel and charcoal?

blueluv
04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
:)Well discus tend to blend with their surroundings, so they might not show their bright colors. As far as carbon, now this is just my opinion, carbon isn't cost effective. Carbon is good at keeping the water clean, but the down side is that it also strips a lot of minerals from the water. Money wise you'd have to replace your carbon every two weeks. Carbon expands as it absorbs all impurities, and if you don't pull out in time all those impurities will leach back into your aquarium. With discus you only use carbon to remove medication.:)

Almonteboy
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
:)Well discus tend to blend with their surroundings, so they might not show their bright colors. As far as carbon, now this is just my opinion, carbon isn't cost effective. Carbon is good at keeping the water clean, but the down side is that it also strips a lot of minerals from the water. Money wise you'd have to replace your carbon every two weeks. Carbon expands as it absorbs all impurities, and if you don't pull out in time all those impurities will leach back into your aquarium. With discus you only use carbon to remove medication.:)

Ahh good point on the gravel thanks. I was thinking it would make them stand out more. I may just leave the sand and wood that is in it now then. I will move all the swords and annubias to my new 100gallon for the community fish. I just packed 7 more vallesneria into the refugium as well as 4 java moss for the cherry shrimp.(son has wanted some for a while and didnt want to put them in main tank)

John_Nicholson
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Setup looks good. How big are the tanks and how much water are you planning on changing?

-john

Almonteboy
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Setup looks good. How big are the tanks and how much water are you planning on changing?

-john

The main tank is a little over 70gallons and the refuge is 30 gallons. The pump is rated for 500gph but I am figuring more like250-300 with the current setup. I have been doing weekly water changes of 50% up to this point..I am not sure if I will need to do that much not with the new setup. I am just going to play it by test so to speak. Doing a water quality test tonight and then 25% change and see how long i need before i need to do another. I dont think I have enough plants yet to see much of an improvement on water quality until I can really pack that refuge.

John_Nicholson
04-29-2013, 05:53 PM
I am a firm believer that nothing can replace WC's so be sure to keep an eye on it.

-john

Almonteboy
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
I am a firm believer that nothing can replace WC's so be sure to keep an eye on it.

-john

I am too so the main reason for this was too up the capacity and hopefully provide a healthier environment.