PDA

View Full Version : Safe glue to use on driftwood

Russ
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi,
I have a very nice piece of driftwood that I was going to use as the center piece of my aquarium but a large piece of it broke off and I want to glue it back together, what is a safe and strong glue to do this?

Thank You,
Russ

Elliots
04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I do not know if it works but silicone sealer? If you try make sure the silicone is suitable for aquariums.

strawberryblonde
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Gorilla Glue is safe to use in an aquarium. I've used it for several projects with my fish. Just be sure to let it sure for AT LEAST 48 hours before placing it into the tank.

NOTE: It drys a pale yellowish to slight brownish color, so if any leaks out around the edges of your repair, wipe it off immediately. Also, use weights or clamps to hold the pieces together while they dry. =)

blueluv
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
You could also try an aquarium safe epoxy. Epoxy is used in reef aquariums, for coral fragments.

CrazyAngels
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Russ, you'll need to let the driftwood dry completely before attempting to glue it back up. Some on my DW in the past has taken a very long time in drying, specially if it's very dense. I like Toni's idea of Gorilla glue, so I hope this will work for you.

strawberryblonde
04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
The nice part of Gorilla Glue is that the wood can still be damp, not soaking wet, but if you let it dry for a couple of days, just so that the surfaces to be glued are dry, the glue will create a great bond.

The directions actually state that to speed the curing process and create the best bond, you want some humidity on the surfaces. When I'm doing a totally dry project, I use a spray bottle to dampen the parts, so if the driftwood is still moist inside, it will have the same effect.

CrazyAngels
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
That's very awesome Toni, sure do appreciate the hint..

Russ
04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks, do you know how long Gorilla glue takes to set because the piece that broke off is an awkward shape and I don't think I can clamp it well.

strawberryblonde
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
It takes about 3 hours to harden up, then another 48 for total curing time.

If it's an odd shape, can you lay it on crumpled newspaper to support the irregular edges while gluing? I'm thinking the smaller piece would be right on the crumpled paper, pressed down to smush it well into the paper and hold it still, then apply the glue and lay the larger piece on top. Then, if you can find a way to add stones or bricks on top of the big section it would provide enough weight to "clamp" it.

The only downside to not being able to use a clamp is that you may have a line of gorilla glue showing along the seam. It won't harm the integrity of the piece at all, just might not be quite as pretty.

Ohhhh, meant to say that if any glue sticks to the newspaper it's easy to remove after the curing time by simple wetting the driftwood and using a scrub brush to remove the paper. =)

CrazyAngels
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Also you could help it by having someone hold it together while you drill a small hole through both pieces at an angle. Then you can add the glue in the joint and put a stainless steel screw in the hole to aid hold it together and help keep the pieces together longer just in case the glue joint was to fail.

a volar
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I have used stainless steel screws to put together 2 pieces of driftwood before with no issues.

Discus Ranz
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Gorilla Glue is awesome stuff!!!!

Parts of my house is being held together with it.
But I had no idea it wasnt toxic to fish. That opens up some possibilities!

~Ranz~

korbi_doc
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Ditto!!

I have used stainless steel screws to put together 2 pieces of driftwood before with no issues.