PDA

View Full Version : Order of adding discus with other tropical fish in new planted tank?

dkeef
05-02-2013, 09:05 PM
So my tank is soon ready for fish but im wondering if it would be easier to put discus in first and then others such as cardinals, rummynose etc in or vice versa?

Its matter of which is easier to qt. discus or tetras?

8ftbed
05-02-2013, 09:18 PM
From my non-discus keeping background , I'd always start with small, inexpensive fish to get the cycle started. Expensive specimens come later. Danios have started many tanks for me although I kind of became attached to them. Especially the long fins.

Elliots
05-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Is your tank cycled? Have you kept fish before?

dkeef
05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes cycled. I have kept everything but discus before

dkeef
05-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Oh i did fishless cycling.

Tazalanche
05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Since you're planning on buying so many discus at once, I'd start with the dither fish first, make sure everything stays ok for 4-6 weeks, then add the discus.

strawberryblonde
05-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Hmmmm, I'm just the opposite. I add my discus first. I like to give them time to get used to life in my tank, in my house and with your my busy traffic patterns.

They'll also need some time to build up the beneficial bacteria in the filters, and I'd rather have a healthy discus sized amount in the filters before I add the dither fish and bottom feeders. Otherwise you'd be stressing out over 100 fish with the discus mini-cycle, and that cycle is the largest and longest. After that one, the tetra and cory ones will be little blips. =)

Tazalanche
05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Toni, since his discus will be going through quarantine, what if he added a discus every day or two? Would that be gradual enough to give the bacteria time to compensate?

The only time I've ever added 8+ discus to a tank quickly was last month's raffle & auction winnings. That was three 4"+ on a Thursday and five 4"+ the following Tuesday. My ammonia & nitrites stayed in check, but that eheim 2236 canister filter was also established, with a minimum of 9 GBR using it at any time in the last 6 months.

dkeef
05-03-2013, 01:46 PM
with my fishless cycle, even if i added 4-5ppm of ammonia, within 24 hrs ammonia checks out 0.

but the weird thing is my nitrite is still showing 0.25-0.5ppm. so i skiped one day of ammonia adding, and nitrite was still 0.25ppm

i still got couple weeks til fish come in but where am i in my cycle?

btw, kenny will also send me seeded sponge filter.
i may even get bacteria from inland empire to be ready in case...

Elliots
05-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I think you should only get bacteria from the person you are getting your discus from or who knows what can happen?