PDA

View Full Version : Discus food advice needed...

dkeef
05-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I have tons of sinking small pellet from Kensfish that i used to feed my african cichlids.
bad thing is it does cloud the water a little. but still plan to use.

im also planning to add Freezed dried black worms.
should i get loose or cube?
how long can a 100gram feed Eight 4-5.5" discus?

also thinking ordering beefheart flake from Kensfish. anyone have experience?
or get Ocean nutrician Prime reef flakes.

btw, since i have overlflow, i was lookin into getting those feeder rings for flakes so they can stay in the ring and sink without draining to the overflow. any recommendations?

i know...i got a lot on my mind now...

lipadj46
05-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Get the cubes so you can stick them on the glass. Prime reef has been reformulated and is not near the quality food it used to be. Inland empire has a good beefheart flake.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

blueluv
05-04-2013, 05:21 PM
I agree with lipadj46. Al's freeze dried cubes are good, they'll stick the glass of the aquarium . Also inland empire discus, does have a good beef heart flake. I use both for my discus.

BigWave
05-04-2013, 05:53 PM
im also planning to add Freezed dried black worms.
should i get loose or cube?
how long can a 100gram feed Eight 4-5.5" discus?

I bought a 100g bag of cubes, and it is the size of a large sandwich bag maybe? I feed 3 cubes a day to my fish, and it will probably last 3 months.

Actually just ordered my second batch of them, and since the discus like them so much I went up to the 500g size. Should get me through most (or all) of a year.

Overall thought it just depends on how often you feed them.

dkeef
05-04-2013, 06:24 PM
i know about inland empire beefheart flakes.
but also thinking of ordering beefheart flake from Kensfish. anyone have experience?
cost is way less.

lipadj46
05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
cost is way less.

There is a reason, they really do not contain much beefheart, a decent bulk flake but we are talking discus here. Dan at California blackworm is making a beefheart flake that is cheaper and looks like good quality.

a volar
05-04-2013, 06:34 PM
i know about inland empire beefheart flakes.
but also thinking of ordering beefheart flake from Kensfish. anyone have experience?
cost is way less.

Ken's fish has a lot of good food........ But the beefheart flake is not one of them....... try Dan's at california blackworm instead

dkeef
05-04-2013, 08:22 PM
dan doesnt sell beefheart flakes.

what do u think of this one for flakes since i have an overflow?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEED-STATION-FEEDING-FOOD-FISH-TANK-AQUARIUM-ORANGE-6-/170908505597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27caf0d5fd

dkeef
05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
i can place in the middle where there is less plant to somewhat control the food leftovers landing.

tonytheboss1
05-04-2013, 08:37 PM
(from prev post)
There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"

lipadj46
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
dan doesnt sell beefheart flakes.

He does...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104507-****-SHIPPING-*****-Blackworm-Beef-Heart-PRO-GRO-and-PRO-MORE-Flake-Foods

blueluv
05-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey there boss man :)

I like how you diversify their diet. Just one question through. Do all your discus attack each different type of food you throw in the aquarium or some more so than others? Thank you in advance

DiscusLoverJeff
05-05-2013, 08:30 AM
(from prev post)
There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"

Same here. Variety is good for your discus. Also, when you breed and have juvies, the variety will help the next person down the road who might get them from you. If your discus only eat one type of food, like live blackworms for instance, then it is very hard to get them to eat anything else.