PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank Rear glass color

Vikrantm1
05-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Dear All,
I am planning to paint the rear glass of my discus tank from outside. I have read on some sites that if I put a dark colour it impacts discus colour and if I put light colours then it is better. I want to put black colour so that the discus colours come out very clear and bright. Please advice if glass colour impacts discus colouring...

Viky

dkeef
05-04-2013, 10:35 PM
i heard it darkens them and peppering may happen. my tank has black background and ill be getting them soon. so ill know soon...

discuspaul
05-04-2013, 10:48 PM
You shouldn't have much of a problem with a dark background, IF you stay away from pigeon-based discus, and IF your substrate is very light colored. It may still impact discus coloration to a slight extent, but negligeably so, imo.

Here's some pics of my low-tech, planted discus tank ( with juvie red snake skins) - with a dark blue background, and using white quartz-based silica pool filter sand.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

ROOK45
05-05-2013, 03:01 AM
I have a tank with the back painted black. At first it was black with black sand and I have pretty much dark colored discus. Then I switched to white sand and they lightened up considerably. Like Paul said stay away from pigeon blood and it should look fine. If you want brightly colored discus all the time with the black background making their colors pop, then I would suggest getting mostly albino strains.

Jon

Vikrantm1
05-05-2013, 03:47 AM
I already have the fishes, guess I have pigeon ones too...melons, yellow / red strains...so do u advice me to get white background?

discuspaul
05-05-2013, 12:24 PM
If you wish to minimize any peppering, then it would probably be best to go with a lighter background, rather than black.
But it doesn't need to be white, or very light-colored. For example, you could consider a medium blue.

Keith Perkins
05-05-2013, 03:21 PM
If you wish to minimize any peppering, then it would probably be best to go with a lighter background, rather than black.
But it doesn't need to be white, or very light-colored. For example, you could consider a medium blue.

+1. Just personal choices and stay away from the really dark stuff. Some here have used shower liners rather than painting, just another thought.

dkeef
05-05-2013, 07:19 PM
What if the background is black but you have plants that will grow and cover the back?
How will color be on discus?

discuspaul
05-05-2013, 07:26 PM
That would be fine, so long as a major portion of the background is covered by the plants.