PDA

View Full Version : LFS - just don't get it!!

barkmanusd
05-07-2013, 07:27 PM
ALthough I only buy my fish from sponsors. I really like the idea of supporting local businesses. All businesses actually, not just aquaria. But, as I realized my Rena cannister filter needs to be overhauled I decided to get a new one and replace the orings on th existing one later. (I have a QT tank i've wanted tio upgrade from HOB anyway.)
A new, local LFS had all 3 models (s. m. l) in stock. I decided to get the big guy 175 gallon capacity. His price instore was $184. Seemed a bit high but I wouldn't have a shipping charge and I could get it setup tonight (No fish juggling waiting on UPS). For no good reason, i decidedd to check the price on Amazon. I knew they would be cheaper but..... their price is $119!! I called back to see if the LFS owner would join me in the real world but he said he couldn't get close to their price. Told him I was sorry but for $65 savings I would have to wait 2 days. New filter is ordered, I have Amazon Prime so shipping is free & will be here Thursday! ....too bad really.

dkeef
05-07-2013, 07:36 PM
unfornuately sometimes those LFS owners pay more to bring in items than what we pay for on amazon. amazon just rules.

pauline
05-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Quantity discounts usually account for the difference in price. Amazon may be selling 100 per month while the LFS may sell a few a month. The manufacturer will give the a volume discount to whoever purchases the most items for re-sale.

Discus Ranz
05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Ditto

I always wanted to say that.........................

~Ranz~

dkeef
05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Heres a good one that actually happened today.
So last thurs, i prebought batch of 70 cardinals at lfs cuz they looked healthy and nice and told him i will pick it up when my tank is cycled. I asked him to feed them to see how they eat and he grabs some flakes and throws in some which most of it wasnt eaten.
I go today to pick up the cards and theres only half of 70.
I asked him what happened? Owner says they kept dieing one by one. Then adds its because i asked him to feed them and those leftover food killed them.
I was thinking why not do some water change???

Anyhow i got my money refunded so its all good.
No way im gonna mix those who knows what killed them cards to infect my discus coming next week.
Lfs dont get it!!!

strawberryblonde
05-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Oh fer pete's sake... the cards didn't die because he threw food in the tank. That would mean that he NEVER feeds his fish??? LOL

Cardinals always have a high die off rate and for some reason they seem to die off faster in the LFS than with sponsors here, but even our sponsors will tell you that they do lose some in the beginning. I bought mine from Discus Hans and he holds them for quite awhile to make sure that the die offs have stopped and that the remainder are clean and healthy. They cost me a bit more, but after 2 years I still had 24 out of 28 of them alive and kicking. And then there was the night the group decided to take a ride through the python roller coaster of death during a routine WC. I didn't realize what they'd done till it was too late...I found them all laying in my garden. I now have an even dozen of them. I guess the last dozen don't possess the thrill seeker gene? LOL

On a good note, I have a fabulous LFS only 2 hours away from home. The owner is fantastic about doing proper QT and I've purchased GBR's and Sterbai's from him with no issues at all...ever. 2 years later and they're still all healthy and happy.

Skip
05-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Dkeef

Now do u understand about risks of adding dither fish to u new discus.. or vise versa..

Don't do it

Trier20
05-08-2013, 01:01 AM
So as a response to the OP, LFS sell their stuff at that price because they can. People will buy it! Most people who frequent their place most likely are not people who are as crazy as us and have a ton of tanks in our homes or even have sheds built dedicated to our fish. The LFS thrives off people who buy a tank cheap fish and keep killing them and going back for me before giving up a year or so later. Through out that year they upgrade their tanks thinking that the bigger the better will make their fish healthier and will make them live. I will occasionally buy things there because the guy is an honest guy who truly loves fish and cares for them well. This being said I do believe you should shop around and buy things elsewhere but every so often purchasing some hardware or something is good.

dkeef
05-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Dkeef

Now do u understand about risks of adding dither fish to u new discus.. or vise versa..

Don't do it

What makes another discus addition later on any safer tho?
Dither or discus, any new addition is a risk to my original discus purchase from kenny right?
Plus with my planted tank i do need shrimps, snails and corys for algae and leftover food cleaners.
I understand optimally u want BB tank with discus from one supplier only.
Just doesnt fit my set up tho. I expect any of my fish to get sick and hopefully recover.

Btw, i found some of the dither fish got ick. Im raising temp to 86 for 2 weeks.
Should i dose meds ? If so what and how much?

barkmanusd
05-08-2013, 01:30 AM
So as a response to the OP, LFS sell their stuff at that price because they can. People will buy it! Most people who frequent their place most likely are not people who are as crazy as us and have a ton of tanks in our homes or even have sheds built dedicated to our fish. The LFS thrives off people who buy a tank cheap fish and keep killing them and going back for me before giving up a year or so later. Through out that year they upgrade their tanks thinking that the bigger the better will make their fish healthier and will make them live. I will occasionally buy things there because the guy is an honest guy who truly loves fish and cares for them well. This being said I do believe you should shop around and buy things elsewhere but every so often purchasing some hardware or something is good.

Thanks Trier, I actually worked for Neiman Marcus for over 12 years. I understand the challenges of retail. I just think succesful businesses recognize those challenges and conquer them. Ma & Paa can't challenge on volume disciunts..they do have the advantage of a good face to face personal interaction. They have the advantage of immediate turnaround and customized purchasing.
This LFS didn't have to match Amazon but should have tried to price his product within a reasonable reach. If he had cut me a deal that could have translated into a long term customer. (Worst case they could have offered tp have the same unit shipped to my house! (meaning they could have ordered it from Amazon, charged me a small markup and had it 'drop-shipped' direct to my house. They are going to have to be creative.
I've been in aquaria since I was 12 (I think) & had discus for over 11! I would love to have a local LFS I coul rely on. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks knowing the mooney stayed local. But $60!?!?!? ...just couldn't do it. THanx

Etek
05-08-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm gonna be depending on my lfs a lil more than I used to. I bought a fluval M series heater from Ken's didnt work correctly..asked for RMA..never received it. Told him I would buy the fluval E series, I'll pay first and when I get RMA to send M series back he can just credit me. Well never got RMA to send the defective heater back. Now fast forward almost a year later. The E series heater has problems and I need to send it back to Hagen. They issued me an RMA but they're asking for a receipt. I email Ken's and have yet to hear from them and its been closing in on a month or 13 months..however you want to do the math. I talked to the shop owner at the lfs. I guess she's in good standing with her rep and if I bought from her I could've just brought over the defective unit and just walked away with a brand new one. Now that I have to go thru Hagen warranty..sending the units back I don see the savings. Online retailers and unfortunately even sponsors here aren't always worth it.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Online retailers and unfortunately even sponsors here aren't always worth it.

One has to remember that most equipment (unless you are in a hurry) can be bought online with no issues. Example, I have bought almost everything I have for my fishroom online. The percentage of things I had to return... less than 5%. The amount of money I have saved vs going to LFS, hundreds if not thousands by now.

As far as sponsers here not being worth it, well thats a personal preference who people buy from. There may always be some issues, but for the most part I believe the forum checks out these sponsers before they allow them in. And most sponsers here stand by their goods.

But again, not every transaction is going to go smoothly, I think we all can agree?

a volar
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
But again, not every transaction is going to go smoothly, I think we all can agree?

+1

8ftbed
05-08-2013, 08:37 PM
There were 2 pretty good LFS near me when I moved here. 1 closed and the really good one burned down 2 years ago.
I love online shopping. Petco/smart are lacking.
Since I recently started ramping up my fish keeping, I discovered neither of them carry lift tubes, elbows, old school corner box filters and neither have Python either. Petco kid told me they went of business. Caca de toro says I.
Two deliveries today courtesy of Kensfish and ThatPetPlace gave me everything I was looking for.
My existing python is 20 years old. The Aqueon hose is kinky crap.

GlennR
05-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Amazon is doing to the online world what Walmart did to the real world. Unfair trade practices, some things even sold at a loss to screw the competition...until they go out of business.

I shop elsewhere.

8ftbed
05-08-2013, 10:14 PM
It's business and Sam Walton was great at it. I'm pleased as punch a super center was built around the corner. 5 min away, 24x7 makes a quick fix for staples. My fixed income ain't complaining either. :) leaves extra money for the hobbies.

lifan23
05-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Well. LFS have to pay rent. If you expect them to sell you stuff at the same price as Amazon, they'll go out of business real soon. Frankly I have no idea how small shops like that stay in business with the rising electricity bills and online retailers.

joanstone
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Some stores seem to be able to make a go of providing dry goods at reasonable, competitive prices. I know of four petstores two hours or so from me that do this. One even posts internet prices next to some items to show that they are competitive. I wish I lived closer to a couple of them, I would definitely be able to support them more. Two of them have done so well that they have expanded. People actually buy stuff instead of it languishing on the shelves. Unfortunately, the stores that I happen to be able to frequent more often can't or don't do this and their prices are just way, way too high on most stuff. Most stores that I know of use the same distributor for their drygoods, so I imagine it's really other individual factors and a different business plan that make the difference.

barkmanusd
05-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Amazon is doing to the online world what Walmart did to the real world. Unfair trade practices, some things even sold at a loss to screw the competition...until they go out of business.

I shop elsewhere.

I think you are right Glenn...but I also think that is capitalism. It's not always fair but it has served us pretty well.

barkmanusd
05-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Well. LFS have to pay rent. If you expect them to sell you stuff at the same price as Amazon, they'll go out of business real soon. Frankly I have no idea how small shops like that stay in business with the rising electricity bills and online retailers.

Lifan - I don't 'expect' them to do anything. They have to watc their bottom line - just as I do.
It's their investment dollars. My only suggestion is they become creative and exploit their advantages. Online sells have expenses as well. The trick is finding your niche. Charging me $60 more on a $100 item isn't creative or a niche that's gonna separate me from my credit card. My filter arived today, brand new, well packed , ontime & I have $60 dollars in my pocket.

barkmanusd
05-10-2013, 01:07 AM

Lifan - I don't 'expect' them to do anything. They have to watc their bottom line - just as I do.
It's their investment dollars. My only suggestion is they become creative and exploit their advantages. Online sells have expenses as well. The trick is finding your niche. Charging me $60 more on a $100 item isn't creative or a niche that's gonna separate me from my credit card. My filter arived today, brand new, well packed , ontime & I have $60 dollars in my pocket.