PDA

View Full Version : Gill getting claimped.

Allwin
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Fish breathing from one side of the gill and other side is closed now and then.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Occasional gill clamping. No other symptoms,eating and begs for food fine.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
Few pinch of aquarium salt + 100% WC
Please suggest me anything else i need to do...

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
55 gallon, few months old, 4 discus at about 5" each

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
25% WC every day
100% once a week
This is my normal routine, excluding few exception days.

6 Parameters and water source;
- temp 84
- ph 7.6
- ammonia reading 0
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading 0ppm
- municipal water 7.8 ph

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No. But, i suspect my no WC continuously for 3days and also 3 week no filtration cleaning.

0Dgreen
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I would just continue to do you big WCs, some people may jump to conclusions that this could be some kind of parasite..however i've seen this behavior happen sometimes in fish that are perfectly healthy. It wouldn't hurt to add more air to the tank to help out. Just observe for a couple days and if its behavior starts to change then worry about treatment.

Allwin
05-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Sure Mike.. the gill clamp was happening now and then though. No clamping for the last 2 days. So hope the best. Thx

PP_GBR
05-11-2013, 07:10 PM
A:

Do you know how to PP?

strawberryblonde
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
There's really no need to treat with PP if the gill clamping is intermittent. He's realized what led to the problem and corrected it, so unless something further develops the discus should be fine.

Just keep up with your water changes and never leave a tank unfiltered, ok?

PP_GBR
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
When the fish is not eating, you know what to do.

Chicago Discus
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
There's really no need to treat with PP if the gill clamping is intermittent. He's realized what led to the problem and corrected it, so unless something further develops the discus should be fine.

+1

Allwin
05-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. What are all the possible reasons for gill clamp?

Allwin
05-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Got it Toni, normally i clean fluval substrate every week. 3-weeks is little lazy on me. And what are all the other possible reasons for gill clamp?

wasc
05-14-2013, 04:41 AM
I've tried everything in 2 years for gill clamp. DO NOT USE medicine ! Because medicine heals it temporary and the fish take a lot of chemicals during that time unnecessaryly... I've examined that, If gill clamp occurs, smell the water. It smells different. That smell is I guess a rotten beefheart or it's blood, or bacteria culture % fall-down. You should stick on a 1 week WC and if you give beefheart more frequent WC.. I hope it helps. By the way with dry fish food gill clamp decreases but Beef heart is very important for length, weight and other vital specs of the fish as you know though.

wasc
05-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Cleaning the aquarium glass with a spong works alot + water change = decreasing the number of unwanted micro organisms naturaly, you can use Seachem discus trace minerals and azoo vitamins (Essentials)

Chemicals = temporary effect for max 4-5 days and fatigue the fish during treatment for 3 days. I used chemicals,drugs before..

Allwin
05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Sure, thx...

I've tried everything in 2 years for gill clamp. DO NOT USE medicine ! Because medicine heals it temporary and the fish take a lot of chemicals during that time unnecessaryly... I've examined that, If gill clamp occurs, smell the water. It smells different. That smell is I guess a rotten beefheart or it's blood, or bacteria culture % fall-down. You should stick on a 1 week WC and if you give beefheart more frequent WC.. I hope it helps. By the way with dry fish food gill clamp decreases but Beef heart is very important for length, weight and other vital specs of the fish as you know though.

blueluv
05-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Sometimes a discus will ramm another right on the gill plate, which causes to temporarily to close. I've seen it first hand with some of my discus.