PDA

View Full Version : Right before free swimming problem

Luckeediscus
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Anybody knows why my proven breeder pairs eat their fry a day before the fry go free swimming? Any opinions are welcomed, thank you.

DonMD
05-11-2013, 11:18 AM
There could be many reasons. The pair could be very young or inexperienced. Sometimes they just do that. Many breeders use a screen to cover the cone that allows the free-swimmers to leave the cone and attach to the parents. You might try that.

Luckeediscus
05-11-2013, 12:12 PM
There could be many reasons. The pair could be very young or inexperienced. Sometimes they just do that. Many breeders use a screen to cover the cone that allows the free-swimmers to leave the cone and attach to the parents. You might try that.

thanks for the reply, i always put a screen but once the fry attach themselves to the screen, they tend to be eaten. my pairs have had fry attached to them before so but now, after they take care of the fry transferring them from one spot to another, they just get eaten

roe discus
05-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Try remove the female

mmorris
05-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Why are you using a screen? It doesn't seem to help and may be hurting. How many fry are there? If there aren't many, the parents may not want to bother with them and so eat them.

Luckeediscus
05-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Why are you using a screen? It doesn't seem to help and may be hurting. How many fry are there? If there aren't many, the parents may not want to bother with them and so eat them.

i use a screen since i had experiences that the pair eats the eggs even before they hatch

mblackett
05-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I have this issue too! Except mine eat them as soon as they hatch its driving me crazy

timmy82
06-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I have found it is more about the water and the temperature. If too warm they will not spawn as many eggs and normally eat the eggs. As for eatting the fry too small of a batch they don't seem to take much intrest and if the water is on the too acidic side for your pair they wont keep the wrigglers in a tight bunch they will scatter them and eventually eat them. I have also found too much different interaction and different people around must get them scared sometimes. Also I leave my water alone from when they spawn until they attached. Some people don't aggree with this but that is what works for me. If I do have to change some water I match the parametres to there tanks water and only do a little at a time so as not to shock them into the wet season stimulation. Some pairs just go for it when ever and how ever and others need a bit if encouragement. When I get a attachment I write their water parametres on the tank so I know what each pair like as it hard to keep up with 12 pairs you can get a bit confussed sometimes.

MKD
06-02-2013, 02:06 PM

agree all the above and want to add 1 more thing. they might feel threat/danger and eat their eggs or wigglers.

CrazyAngels
06-03-2013, 12:35 AM
agree all the above and want to add 1 more thing. they might feel threat/danger and eat their eggs or wigglers.

+1, this one seems to be the most likely cause of mine. Seems they get used to you doing water changes, but once the eggs are laid, they just don't want to be bothered so they feel threatened and eat their spawns.

Best of luck figuring out what works for yours. I gave up on my pairs after almost 2 years. Waiting for a new pair to try again in the future.